Observation types - Sociograms and Time Samples

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
shell3

Observation types - Sociograms and Time Samples

Post by shell3 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Could someone please explain "Sociograms" and "Time Samples" and how to actually do them. I am working on Social Development unit and my focus child for my assignment is 12 months old. I need to do 5 different observations on him and came across the above terms but don't really know much about them or how to use them with social development, thanks :)

Lorina

Re: Observation types - Sociograms and Time Samples

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Hi Shell,

I got some information about the different types of observation samples that you are looking for...

Sociograms

A sociogram is a map or diagram of friendships and interactions within a group of children. It can be used across a range of age groups and can reflect a pattern of social interaction for a child. It should provide a clear indication of who children prefer to play with and identify children who may be socially isolated, need assistance, or are socially adept with forming friendship groups. Older children may be interviewed about which children they like to play with in their peer group. Each child may be asked to name a best friend and this information may be represented by a sociogram.

The frequency of interactions, whether they be verbal or non-verbal, and with whom the interactions occur, are obvious through the use of a sociogram. Initiation of interactions and responses to others’ initiations can be recorded.

Sociograms will indicate the children who interact most regularly and with whom they are most likely to interact.

Try questions such as:
• What do you like best here?
• Is there an activity you like to do?
• Who do you like to do it with?

Time Samples

A time sample provides a snapshot of a child’s day. It is used to record the occurrence of a child’s behaviour at particular times of day, for example group time or meal times. It is often used when a carer is concerned about a particular behaviour and needs to know how often it occurs. Time samples can be taken every half hour over a day or for shorter time intervals of five or ten minutes.

You may find this a useful method of observing a quiet child who you may seem to overlook, or if you want to get an overall picture of what experiences a child may be involved in during a specific period of the day.

A table needs to be drawn up with regular time intervals marked on it. For example, the observation may run for 30 minutes with five minute intervals recorded on the table. Comments or tally marks are recorded every five minutes to track the frequency of the behaviour being observed.

When writing a time sample:
• Focus on the situation, e.g. A particular child gets very loud around mid morning.
• Determine the skill, area of development, or the interactions the child is engaged in that you want to find out more information about.
• Think about what time of day would be the most appropriate to obtain this information.
• Once you decide on the information you require, and the best time of day to observe, pick your time frame.

I do have examples of each of the above so if you need them just let me know and I will send you the attachment through private message...

:geek:,
L.A

shell3

Post by shell3 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks for that great information and in such an easy to understand format :) If you could supply examples that would be great, thank you. Do you think either of these observation methods would work well with my 1 year old focus child in relation to his social development domain?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi Shell,

I've uploaded the observation samples you were after along with this post.

Yes I think both of these observation methods will work well with your observation child in relation to social development (great choice) :D !

Hope you have a great night,

L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shell3

Post by shell3 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:46 pm

Thanks so much, you are an angel :)

Artist99

Post by Artist99 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:09 am

Iv just looked at your sociogram templates as I needed some help and found this awesome.

Can I ask you if it's possible to just record two children who prefer to play together away from a group or only engage with each other within a group?
Thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue May 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Artist99 wrote:Iv just looked at your sociogram templates as I needed some help and found this awesome.

Can I ask you if it's possible to just record two children who prefer to play together away from a group or only engage with each other within a group?
Thanks

Yes, I think it is fine! If that is what is happening during the observation then you should detail that on the sociogram etc.

Lorina