Imran - Bully?

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
brookeamy
Participator
Participator

Imran - Bully?

Post by brookeamy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:21 am

Scenario:
Imran (4.7 years) has excellent gross motor skills and enjoys playing with balls kicking, throwing and catching. However, Imran has poor language skills and because of this he tends to be a loner. The educator has noticed that Imran often pushes the younger children, causing them to fall. It appears that Imran does this for no apparent reason

I. Using the guidance continuum select the level of intervention you would apply as an educator.
Brainstorm

I. Give reasons for your answer.
Allow Imran to know what he is doing to other children is not nice and it hurts their feelings. Ask Imran to try and use his words before getting physical, let him know if he is feeling frustrated to come and see and educator – possibly create a stress reliever (i.e. a stress ball) for Imran to use when angry/frustrated

Feedback received:
Imran is old enough to know that pushing younger children is not acceptable.  Language barrier is not a proper excuse for this type of behaviour- Please revise last 2 sections of this question.   Brainstorm is not appropriate as the child does this frequently, your intervention should acknowledge this.

Im not sure which continuum to use! Iv'e tried a few and been told everyone is incorrect. Im thinking possibly take action alongside, and do it yourself? They are the highest levels of intervention

Any help is much appreciated!!

Lorina

Re: Imran - Bully?

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:49 am

What are other continuum options?

:geek:,
Lorina

brookeamy
Participator
Participator

Post by brookeamy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:00 pm

1. Ignore
Let children sort it out for themselves
2. Listen and watch
Make sure you hear what the children are saying. Become aware of the issues. Make sure children see you are watching and available
3. Act as reporter
Say what you notice and hear: ‘It looks like there’s a problem here’, ‘I see two children fighting’, ‘There are three children and one bike’, ‘I’m hearing shouting/crying’.
4. Step in/set limits
Protect physical or emotional security: ‘Stop the hitting’, ‘We use words, not our hands’, ‘I can’t let you hurt her feelings’, ‘Running inside causes accidents – wait until you go outside’.
5. Ask questions
‘Is there a problem?’, ‘How do you feel about that?’, ‘What is happening here?’
6. Brainstorm
Encourage the child to say what to do: ‘How could we solve this problem?’, ‘Who has a good idea?’, ‘What could you do so that you will both be happy?’, ‘What could you do instead of pushing?’
7. Offer ideas
‘You could get another hammer and work together’, ‘Maybe you need to play alone for a while’, ‘Perhaps you could join the roads together’
8. Offer a choice
‘These are the two things that need to be done. You may choose which you will do first and which you will do second. You can put your things away now and hear our story, or you can put them away during story time and miss hearing it’. This strategy is particularly effective for children who are disorganised and disruptive.
9. Take action alongside
The Educator takes the lead and directs the child by guiding, prompting and modelling: ‘Here’s what we’ll do together’, ‘Let’s talk about what you can do so this won’t happen again’

10. Do it yourself
Take command and telling the children what to do: ‘It seems too difficult to play here. You need to go and play somewhere else’, ‘You have to do something else’, ‘You have to something to make him feel better. Go and ask Annie for a wet washer’.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:59 pm

brookeamy wrote:QR_BBPOST 4. Step in/set limits
Protect physical or emotional security: ‘Stop the hitting’, ‘We use words, not our hands’, ‘I can’t let you hurt her feelings’, ‘Running inside causes accidents – wait until you go outside’.

Lorina

brookeamy
Participator
Participator

Post by brookeamy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi Lorina, I have used these options:
- offer ideas
- step in/set limits
- brainstorm
and they have all been incorrect.

Was thinking possibly take action alongside? or am i completely wrong?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:14 am

So, are you still stuck on Step 4?

Lorina

brookeamy
Participator
Participator

Post by brookeamy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:51 pm

I had emailed my assessors and they gave me some feedback that the answer for number 1 is take action alongside, now how would i put this in action for question 2.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:26 pm

brookeamy wrote:QR_BBPOST 9. Take action alongside
The Educator takes the lead and directs the child by guiding, prompting and modelling: ‘Here’s what we’ll do together’, ‘Let’s talk about what you can do so this won’t happen again’

So, how would you guide Imran... help him with his language etc.

Lorina

pola
Participator
Participator

Post by pola » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:18 pm

the answer is ASK QUESTIONS