Fostering holistic development

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
kk89
Participator
Participator

Fostering holistic development

Post by kk89 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi, I need some help/info on developing an experience that looks at fostering development and wellbeing for 2-5-year-olds. I need to plan and implement this experience and also do a modification of the experience.

I will need to ensure I consider the following points:
-facilitate children's emotional and psychological development
-encourage children's self-help and independence
-planned opportunities to foster children's positive concept and self-esteem
-a safe and positive environment where children can express their thoughts, feelings, and ideas
-ensure play fosters a sense of belonging for each child

I was thinking of doing an experience such as sensory play e.g such as rainbow slime, play dough etc as an idea for an experience for fostering holistic development: I have been doing some research into the benefits of sensory play. I was thinking as a way for children to learn about colors and develop skills in other areas in would a good experience to make rainbow slime. It would be a great experience to support the inclusion of all children to participate.

E.g Open-ended material that offers children to make choices, create and explore themselves
Encourages self-directed play
-Research shows that sensory play builds nerve connections in the brain’s pathways, which lead to the child’s ability to complete more complex learning tasks.
-Sensory play supports language development, cognitive growth, fine and gross motor skills, problem-solving skills, and social interaction.
-This type of play aids in developing and enhancing memory
-Sensory play is great for calming an anxious or frustrated child and help self-regulates their emotions.

I feel that this experience would be good for helping fostering development. Am I on the right track? Any other ideas or suggestions? And I have to think to have a plan of a modification of the experience too. Eg maybe adding glitter to the rainbow slime.

Lorina

Re: Fostering holistic development

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Yes, you're on the right track!

Here is some more info:

Fostering Development

:geek:,
Lorina