CHCCN511A - Benefits and Planning Excursion for Preschool Children

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
ravyn

CHCCN511A - Benefits and Planning Excursion for Preschool Children

Post by ravyn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:09 pm

hi everyone,
i was wondering if anyone could help me with these two questions im having a bit of trouble with for the subject Establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for children CHCCN511A.
1. What is the benefits for excursions for preschool children?

2.What planning do you need to do to prepare for a excursion to the library for 20 preschool children.To get to the library you need to cross two busy roads which have traffic ligths at the pedestrian crossing. There is a childrens playground next to the library where the children have morning tea.

Thank You so much
ravyn

Lorina

Re: CHCCN511A - Benefits and Planning Excursion for Preschool Children

Post by Lorina » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:32 pm

Hey Ravyn,

Here are some ideas that can help with your assignment...

Q1. Benefits of excursions for preschool children include giving children hands on real life experiences which they will not be able to have in the childcare centre and enhance children's understanding of the particular theme (for e.g. if there is an interest in animals which you are discussing in the room, you could organize a trip to the zoo).

Q2. The planning you will need to do include the following - before the excursion take a walk to the library and the playground (as you would with the children during the excursion). Check all areas for safety hazards and accessibility to toilets. Discuss with the children what they will see and do and any safety limits they will have to follow. Advise all volunteer adults of their responsibilities. Make centre badges with the children for them to wear on the day of the excursion. Send out excursion permission forms for parents to sign. Make sure that you have enough staff to supervise the group of children. Since you will be crossing roads with traffic lights, it's a good idea to provide opportunities to reinforce appropriate behavior before the excursion. Read books, set up play experiences and encourage children to suggest safety rules and guidelines. This way on the day of the excursion the children understand what is expected from them.

Well hopefully this helps you out with your questions!

Cheers,
L.A

ravyn

Post by ravyn » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:39 pm

Thank You La,
There was a few things i had missed in question two that you helped me with, eg checking area for safety hazards and accessibility for toilets and the badges as well is a good idea. Also roleplaying road safety rules is good too, good idea for an observation as well in the preschool room when i decide on that.
Thank you for answer to question 1 as well, i was thinking along same lines but thought there was going to be more to the question*S*
Hope you are having a lovely evening
ravyn

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Hey Ravyn,

I've been thinking about question 1 of your assignment and came up with a few more ideas...

- Excursions offer opportunities to create lasting memories and further develop concepts.

- Excursions provide opportunities to expand vocabulary, develop curiosity and problem solving skills, develop new concepts and to expand on previous learned knowledge.

- Excursions are educational experiences which give further opportunities to investigate and explore. A wonderful approach to learning.

I found this poem in my stash of Resources which you can use for Q2... it's a good one to teach to preschool kids when discussing the safety and procedures for crossing roads etc.

" Stop look and listen before you cross the street. Use your eyes, use your ears and then use your feet".

Hope this helps you further!!

Cheers :geek:
L.A

ravyn

Post by ravyn » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:34 pm

hi La,
Omg you are a godsend thank you ever so much,
Yes you have helped me further with question 1
have a good weekend
hugs ravyn

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:40 pm

Hello Ravyn,

Happy New Year... Nothing like the start of a new year to begin completing your assignments...

Regarding question 2 I got another idea for you to add...

When going on excursions especially with kids it's important to prepare to take some items with you. Such as a first aid kit. Most childcare centres prepare a special excursion bag to take with them...items include-

water and cups for children and adults
food (box of biscuits etc)
a sheet (for sitting on)
spare clothing (depends on the age)
plastic bags (for rubbish)
hand/face wipes
tissues
sunscreen
camera
mobile phone
list of emergency phone numbers
money

I hope this gives you another idea to add...

:geek:,
L.A

ravyn

Post by ravyn » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:49 am

Thank you very much L.A
That is another great idea
Happy new year
hugs ravyn

Komal10dixit

Post by Komal10dixit » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:28 pm

Hello all,

I am working on the same scenario but stuck on different question so please I need help.

What information must be contained on the authorisation consent from for the planned excursion?

Thanks☺

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:16 am

Komal10dixit wrote:Hello all,

I am working on the same scenario but stuck on different question so please I need help.

What information must be contained on the authorisation consent from for the planned excursion?

Thanks☺
Could it be:

- child's name
- parent's name
- date
- where the excursion
- estimated time (9am to 3pm)
- mode of transport
- parents signature

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina