Exceeding expectations for completing a task

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
tylsomroo

Exceeding expectations for completing a task

Post by tylsomroo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:26 am

Hey I was wondering if someone could let me know if I am on the right track with my answer

The question is Explain how you would respond positively to a child who is:
1.Exceeding expectations for their ability to complete a task
2.Not able to undertake a task that the other children of the same age are able to complete
You'd have a variety of structured activities for different levels, all on the same topics. For example

1st group focuses on the alphabet only introducing 3 at each time. With repetition and support. Not the symbol but the sound = phonemes.
2nd group would focus on the phonemes.of the vowels, then consonants with only 3 at a time, repetition.
3rd group would focus on more a andavced phoneme group with them knowing the vowels and other consonants, introducing the letter to sound (wh says w).
4th group can focus on all phonemes, consonants and digraphs, blends. With letter and sound relationship.

You'd easily keep track through observations, staff communication and samples.

Same for mathematics.

Always have groups of ability and then you can have peer teaching. Group 4 and assist group 2 and 3.

Reward charts for all students in their groups. Super hero stickers, computer time, IPad time, helping staff with jobs.

Lorina

Re: Exceeding expectations for completing a task

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:10 am

tylsomroo wrote:QR_BBPOST 1st group focuses on the alphabet only introducing 3 at each time. With repetition and support. Not the symbol but the sound = phonemes.
2nd group would focus on the phonemes.of the vowels, then consonants with only 3 at a time, repetition.
3rd group would focus on more a andavced phoneme group with them knowing the vowels and other consonants, introducing the letter to sound (wh says w).
4th group can focus on all phonemes, consonants and digraphs, blends. With letter and sound relationship.
Is this part of the assignment question or your response?

:geek:,
Lorina

tylsomroo

Post by tylsomroo » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:38 pm

That is my response sorry

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:33 am

I think that you need to start off with a more simplified activity, learning vowels and consonants is not easy and a child needs to be able to recognise the letter, the sound of the letter and objects beginning with that letter. Once they are able to do this, then you can slowly begin vowels, blends etc. However, it not necessary for children to grasp this until later. Most important is identifying the letters and the sound it makes.

So, for your activity you could do something like "puzzles". A child is able to complete a puzzle that matches the puzzle piece to the shape on the puzzle board then you can use the puzzles that the pieces are all inter connected to create the picture. You can start off with 5 pieces then 8 pieces etc. If a child is having difficulty then you can just use an easier puzzle.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina