culturally safe work practices

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
sasha r

culturally safe work practices

Post by sasha r » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Dear Lorina,
could you please help me with the following question?
Outline three considerations you need to take into account for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people when implementing culturally safe work practices.
My answer: I need to take into account the following considerations:
 Religious beliefs
 Age
 Gender
My assessor wants extended answers on all aspects. I could extend on only one aspect which is Gender.
GENDER: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander beliefs may contain the concept of Men's and Women's business – this refers to certain matters that should only be discussed with people of the same gender. Some of the practices that educators need to consider may include:
• How to greet males and females.
• What is the etiquette for making eye contact with adults and children
I am not sure about 2 more considerations which is age and religious beliefs. Can't find any relevant info.
Please let me know if you have any ideas.
Thank you so much,
regards,
Sasha

Lorina

Re: culturally safe work practices

Post by Lorina » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:27 pm

See if the following helps:

Cultural Safety

:geek:,
Lorina

sasha r

Post by sasha r » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:13 pm

HI, Lorina. Thank you for your quick response. I saw the article before on the forum and searched everywhere before posting my question. It seems there is no info on the aspects - religious belief and age. Anyway thank you for your help.
have a good weekend
regards,
Sahsa

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:02 pm

I think I found what you're looking for:

Religion and Spirituality

:geek:,
Lorina