Scenario: No Doors On Toilet

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
ejhh

Scenario: No Doors On Toilet

Post by ejhh » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:16 pm

Hi I Have the following question for my assignment and I am having a hard time answering it. Could you please help
1. You have observed that a 3 year old child in your care keeps wetting themselves, despite the parent telling you on enrolment that their child is toilet trained. After several days you decide to speak to the child’s parent about this issue. At this point she reveals that the reason her child is not going to the toilet is because there are no toilet doors on the toilet cubicles. This is because in their country (Iran) it is considered very shameful to go to the toilet where others’ can see you.
How would you sensitively approach this issue?

Only thing I can think of is when talking to the mother is ask what she would like us to do due to duty of care and the centre may not have a inclosed toilet in the room.

Lorina

Re: Scenario: No Doors On Toilet

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:57 pm

So, the issues it says that the child cannot go to the toilet because it lacks privacy and in the child's culture it's very shameful...

What would you say to the parent on how this issue could be dealt with? Think about why there isn't doors in the toilets...

What would you say to the child? How can you respect the child's privacy while they go to the toilet?

:geek:,
Lorina