children's sleep rest and relaxation.

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Meegz92

children's sleep rest and relaxation.

Post by Meegz92 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi guys, so the scenario is:
Hessa (3.9 years) is a very busy little girl. She loves dramatic play - she often creates quite elaborate dramatic play scenarios and directs others to follow her lead. Hessa likes to ‘help’ the educators to do various housekeeping tasks. She often helps the educator by placing each child’s sheets on their stretcher in preparation for rest time. Hessa attends child care 4 days per week from 7.30am – 5.30pm. Hessa’s parents want her to have an afternoon sleep but each day Hessa tells the educator that ‘she is not tired.

the question: How will you accommodate her needs, sleep and relaxation?
My answer: Hessa’s parents would like her to sleep but Hessa does not want to, so if we get Hessa to sit quietly in book corner lay down and read a quiet story chances are she will fall asleep. You cannot force her onto a bed if she does not want to sleep but you can tell the parents you will try but we cannot force her. Usually during rest time there is quiet music playing so if she is laying in the corner on some pillows reading a book she may fall asleep she may not but at least she is having a lie down and relaxing.

Assessors comment: The parents have requested the child have a sleep. How will you accommodate the specific needs of each child for sleep, rest and relaxation? Think about what kind of choices you could provide to the child to give her a choice whilst still complying to the rules or ways in which you could comfort/ relax the child (there are many different ways)

Im just not sure what else to put!
Thanks Megan

Shal

Re: children's sleep rest and relaxation.

Post by Shal » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:35 pm

As you mentioned we can't force the children to sleep or prevent them from sleeping. In a scenario like this i would consult with the parents to see if Hessa has a favourite toy or a blanket that could help her fall asleep or if the parents use other strategies that I could use at the Centre when Hessa needs to have a nap. Other than that i can only think of rest time activities such rest time bags which includes finger puppets, tiny books or picture cards which provides relaxation time.
Hope this helps.