CHCLEG001 - Scenario: Sarah - Administering Medication

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
ritu

CHCLEG001 - Scenario: Sarah - Administering Medication

Post by ritu » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:22 am

Sarah reads on the medication form that one of the infants needs 2.5mls of Panadol medication at 1pm. She is currently the only carer in the room as her lead educator is on lunch. She however notices it is 1pm so goes to the fridge and finds the infants medication as she does not want to be late in administering it. She checks the label for the child’s name and does amount, measures the medication and gives it to the child, then puts it away. She carries on with her duties and forgets to fill in the medication book.

a) Is this a legal or ethical situation?

It is a legal situation.

b) What is the issue or breach occurring?

It breach Education and Care Services National Regulation 92. According to which details are to be recorded if medication is administered:
the dosage that is administered;
date and time the manner in which medication is administered
the name and signature of the person who administered the medication.

c) If you were the lead educator, what action would you take and who would you report to if required?

If I am a lead education I will complete the medication book. I would inform the Centre Director.

I am not sure I am right about question 3. Please help me with answers

Lorina

Re: CHCLEG001 - Scenario: Sarah - Administering Medication

Post by Lorina » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:36 am

Yes, you're right, it is a legal issue.

When administering medication to a child, 2 educators needs to confirm the medication details as well as the dosage before giving it to the child. If the time comes and a second educator isn't available then you can call an educator from another room or even the centre director to help administer the medication.

:geek:,
Lorina