CHCIC511A - 4 Key Areas For EC To Support Inclusion

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
mumof2

CHCIC511A - 4 Key Areas For EC To Support Inclusion

Post by mumof2 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:29 pm

This subject is: Implement and promote inclusive policies and practices in children's services.

I'm stuck on the 1st question:
Explain the four key areas where early childhood services are able to support social inclusion.

I thought I would find what they mean in the text book, but I can't.

Hope someone can help
Thanks.
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCIC511A - 4 Key Areas For EC To Support Inclusion

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:57 pm

Hey Mumof2,

Social Inclusion is defined as "a socially inclusive society is one where all individuals have the opportunities, capabilities and resources to participate fully in their community".

So four key areas where early childhood services are able to support social inclusion can include:

- Children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds & Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children.
- Children with a disability.
- Children from low income families.
- Children from separated or divorced parents.

Now I’m not 100 % sure if I’m on the right track… Maybe you can explain how an early childhood service is able to support social inclusion from each of the above points mentioned.

Have you found out any more info in the past couple of days?
Did you contact your tutor about this question?

Sorry I don’t feel as if I’d been very helpful… Let me know what you find and hopefully we can work this out…

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

Fang28

Post by Fang28 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:18 am

Hello, I am doing this unit now.
I've got stuck with the other questions.
1. what shoud be considered when developing inclusive policies?
2. what are the principles or values that you would look for that demonstate inclusion practices in early childhood settings?
I am not sure if I could refer to NCAC principles ?
Any ideas?

Thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:55 pm

Hey Fang28,

I've done a similar assignment before and I found some info that might help you...

1. what shoud be considered when developing inclusive policies?

Inclusive policies and practice enable every child in the centre-
- feel a sense of belonging.
- have every aspect of their identity, individuality and culture encouraged, developed and consolidated.
- learn from others, without barriers due to cultural differences.
- participate freely in the life of their society as an active citizen.
- actively address biases through open communications and a willingness to grow and learn about themselves and others and
- work together with other children to challenge prejudice and discrimination.

Basically when developing inclusive policies make sure that all families, staff, children etc have equal opportunities. This includes: respecting cultural differences, creating a cultural environment, anti-bias approach (stereotyping, generalizing, labeling, religion, gender differences these are all unacceptable in a childcare centre).

2. what are the principles or values that you would look for that demonstate inclusion practices in early childhood settings?

- Develop each child's identity and self esteem.
- Build self confidence.
- Being comfortable with difference.
- Recognize bias and stereotypes.
- Take action against bias.
- Accepting each child as an individual.

Yes, you can refer back to the NCAC principles if you would like... Take a look at Quality Area 1- Staff Relationships with Children and Peers. Read through Principle 1.3 "Staff initiate and maintain respectful communication with each child, Principle 1.4 "Staff respect each child's background and abilities" and Principle 1.5 "Staff treat all children equitably". The indicators of quality care can also give you ideas about supporting and developing inclusive polices at a childcare centre.

I hope this will be able to put you on the right track...

Enjoy your night :)

:geek:,
L.A

Fang28

Post by Fang28 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi, L.A,
Thanks very much. I think I am on the right track to these questions. could you please help me with these questions?
This is about establish and implement plans for developing cooperative behaviour.
1. How will you inform the profiled child of specific behavioural expectations of the plan?
2. how will you ensure your colleages are supported to carry through with the appropriate response in this behaviour?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:24 am

Hey Fang,

Here some help with your questions…

How will you inform the profiled child of specific behavioural expectations of the plan?

Clearly discuss behavioral expectations with the child and let them know of the consequences of undesirable behavior that they may display. For e.g. if a child keeps throwing toys on the floor, they will have to pick them up then move onto another activity to play with. If they still continue to throw toys they will be removed from that specific activity. It’s also a good idea to talk about different scenarios that the child could face and talk about what the desirable behavior is. For e.g. normally, if this child hits when another child plays or takes his toys away, encourage the child to say “that’s mine” or “I’m playing” rather than hitting.

how will you ensure your colleages are supported to carry through with the appropriate response in this behaviour?

Have a staff meeting to discuss relevant responses in dealing with this behavior. All staff should be on the same page and sticking to the behavior plan that has been put into place. If you see staff are having difficulty with this specific child, another colleague should step in to assist and provide support.

Hope you’re enjoying the easter break,

:geek:,
L.A

Ana

Post by Ana » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:51 am

The key areas in my opinion are:
-Support children to reach their full potential and enhance children's well being, particularly in relation to children who are disadvantage.
-EC services can act as a community focus for young families by fostering a sense of belonging and providing a framework for social inclusion across class and cultural boundaries among all services users.
-EC services support families, particularly women to participate in the workforce which in turn, reduces social exclusion, unemployment, social isolation and poverty,
-Support equity of access to services, particularly for women and children from disadvantage groups and particularly for those with a disability.

Hope that helps,
Ana