CHCFC502A - Discussion Topic On Physical Development

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.

When do you believe good physical exercise habits should begin in the life of a child

0-2
20%
2-3
20%
3-5
30%
5-12
30%

Total votes: 10

emmastudent

CHCFC502A - Discussion Topic On Physical Development

Post by emmastudent » Tue May 17, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi everyone,
It is great to have discovered this site!
I have been asked to start a discussion topic about physical development. There are three points that i would love your opinions on, these statements are:

1 - "Children get enough exercise from just being kids - there is no need to incorporate planned physical activity into the program"

2- "Infants are to young to take part in activities that foster their motor skills"

3- When do you believe good physical exercise habits should begin in the life of a child?

Any feedback on one or all of these topics would be so helpful
Thank you

Lorina

Re: CHCFC502A - Discussion Topic On Physical Development

Post by Lorina » Tue May 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Hey Emma,

I know what you mean, when I discovered this site I was soo happy! Finally I can get all my questions answered...hehehe....

Just thought I'd let you know my thoughts on the "discussion topics" you posted.

1 -"Children get enough exercise from just being kids - there is no need to incorporate planned physical activity into the program"

I have to agree with this statement. Kids are a bundle full of energy whether or not they have planned physical activity into the program. When children are out in the playground they never STOP! They are always running around, playing on the equipment, riding bikes...because a child simply cannot be still.

2- "Infants are to young to take part in activities that foster their motor skills"

I believe that infants aren't too young to foster their motor skills. We can encourage infants with their motor skills by arranging activities which will benefit them. Infants need to develop strength in the gross motor skills which will enable them to walk later on.

3- When do you believe good physical exercise habits should begin in the life of a child?

When the child is in primary school (kindergarten). When they begin to understand the benefits of exercising and actually participate in team sports, games etc.

Great poll by the way, I just voted!!

By the way, for those of you who want to vote you need to be logged in as a member before voting.

Have a great night :mrgreen: !

:geek:,
L.A

emmastudent

Post by emmastudent » Sun May 22, 2011 1:15 pm

Thank you for your thoughts L.A!,
You gave me some new perspectives on these topics! I really appreciate the time and effort you put into formulating a reply!!! :P

While i agree that children do get enough physical activity from just being kids i do think there is a need to program physical activity especially for children who may not get sufficient activity at home due to housing or family culture.

I do think that when at care children do have the opportunity to just be kids and get sufficient activity, i also think that some children may need extra thought put into the program such as when they might be too shy to participate or lack the confidence we can then look at some of the experiences they have an interest in or like doing at home or with family/friends. By then programming a similar experience we can encourage that child to participate in physical activity, in turn fostering their social skills etc.

I have changed my opinion on the third question and totally agree with your thoughts that children should being good physical exercise habits when they are old enough to understand the benefits and are able to participate in games and team sports - but i also think its a good idea to introduce the idea early so children have previous experience with the concept.

Loved finding that poll! wish you could add more than 1 question at a time though lol.
I would still love for anymore opinions to add to this topic :D :D

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Mon May 23, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi Emma, Great discussion topic!

1 - "Children get enough exercise from just being kids - there is no need to incorporate planned physical activity into the program"
I agree with what you are both saying on this. I would also like to add that planned physical activity doesn't just have to be about exercise. Like you suggested Emma It could also incorporate a child's social and emotional development, working as part of a team, listening skills, following instructions, helping each other out, improving eye/hand coordination etc and a chance for a child to release their energy. I think that planned physical activity should be included onto the program BUT it should fit the requirements and age level of the children and the children shouldnt be forced to participate.

I agree with L.A!

I think that toddlers can begin enjoying the benefits of physical exercise but only at a fun and positive way. Children love being involved in games and activities especially when there teachers are involved. The children get so excited even when we put on Hi-5 music and all begin dancing. This is a type of physical exercise. It benefits children to have an outlet to release their energy and I believe it can be done through physical exercise from around 3 years old!

emmastudent

Post by emmastudent » Mon May 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Thank you for your input Catchmeifucan and L.A! This is wonderful, reading your opinions - Thanks again :D :D :P