CHCECE026 - Sharing Information & Making Decisions With Parents

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
veronicanguyen
Participator
Participator

CHCECE026 - Sharing Information & Making Decisions With Parents

Post by veronicanguyen » Thu May 21, 2015 9:01 pm

1) The Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF) and the My time, out place – Framework for School Age Care in Australia (MTOP) include “Partnerships” as one of their Principles. Using dot –points, describe the different partnerships that occur between parents and educators in your service, particularly in relation to sharing information and making decisions.

My answer:

The partnerships, which occur between parents and educators in my service:

• Communicate freely and respectfully with each other.

The educators in my service always try to create a friendly environment where the parents feel welcomed, respected and encouraged. The educators respect the parents’ culture, background, opinions and ideas. The educators are open to the parent’s ideas, opinions or requests. When talking to the parents, they do not hold any biases, prejudices or negative/ personal thoughts against the parents. They know that it is important for the parents to feel comfortable when communicating. When they feel listened, understood and respected, they are more likely to share information.

• Share insights and perspectives about each child.

The educators always encourage the parents to share information about the child’s activities and experiences outside of care and give the parents a snapshot of what their child’s is like during the day at drop-off and pick-up times. The educators also invite the parents to participate in activities at the service such as joining in a mealtime, assisting the children with painting or reading a book for the children. When the parents can experience activities themselves, they can know exactly what are going on at the service. The educators and the parents can discuss the child’s routines, behavior or educational experiences.

Sharing insights and perspectives about the child allows the educators to understand what is happening at home and outside of care or how the parents would like their child’s behavior and learning managed and developed in the service. When the parents understand what is happening in their child’s day and how the child is progressing at the service, they will share more information. Sharing insights and perspectives about a child will help not only the educators but also the parents be aware of the child’s strengths and challenges and allows both parties work together to support children’s social and emotional well-being. Besides, the sharing between the educators and the parents also helps to build up the educational program and curriculum more effective, which are based on the child’s interests and needs.

• Engage in shared decision-making

The educators use active listening and open-ended questions to encourage the parents in shared decision-making. The educators and the parents discuss the options, advantages and disadvantages of the options.

• Value each other’s contributions to and roles in each child’s life

The educators always say “thank you” and show appreciation to the parents’ contribution and their roles in each child’s life. The educators know that when the parents feel appreciated, they may wish to become more involved in the service and contribute more to their children’s development.

=>>>>> My questions: I am not so sure if I am on the right track? For "Engage in shared decision-making", what should I add to the answer? Because it is similar to "Share insights and perspectives about each child". I covered too much information in the description for "Share insights and perspectives about each child." so I run out of ideas for "Engage in shared decision-making"

2) Jeff and Alice have come into the Blacktown Day Care in response to an incident involving their son. Their son was found stealing a toy from another child's bag and denied it. You want to discuss this problem with the parents so a response can be formulated and a decision made by both parties agree to.

Prepare a scrip to demonstrate how you will address the situation.
My answer:
- create a positive and friendly environment for discussing.
- never assume how the family will react.
- use a calm tone of voice.
- be aware of body language.
- give enough information and ensure the information is consistent
- allow parents time to listen and react.
- do not critise the child and the parents.
- do not hold any personal feelings or negative judgement against the child and the parents
- listen actively.

=>>> Should i talk about how to solve the problem or how to help the child? please help to correct me.

Thanks a lot everyone.
Last edited by Lorina on Fri May 22, 2015 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lorina

Re: CHCECE026 - Sharing Information & Making Decisions With Parents

Post by Lorina » Fri May 22, 2015 5:01 am

For your first question, you have written your responses very well. You have shown how families and educators within your service communicate positively with one another and share information about the child. For your question I'm adding some info which may help:

Standard 6
Partnerships With Families

For Q2) a script means you need to include what you say to the parent about the incident...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

veronicanguyen
Participator
Participator

Post by veronicanguyen » Sat May 23, 2015 12:37 am

Thanks so much Lorina.

Could you please help me with the following questions?

Investigate at least two services that could provide resources or support for this family. Provide materials and resources from these services (for example, brochures, website printouts) that promote and explain the following:
a) A detailed description of the service
b) The resources they have available
c) How they may support the family
d) Contact details
e) Current contact person for this specific issue
f) Any referral methods that apply (for example, do they need a doctor to refer them?)

I will talk about Salvation Army and Centrelink but I do not understand when they ask me about "The resources they have available". What do they mean? Thanks lot Lorina.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat May 23, 2015 8:08 pm

This means going to the services you mentioned and getting materials, articles, web links etc on the points mentioned in the question. So, if you are using centrelink go to their site and print out info from their site about their services etc.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

veronicanguyen
Participator
Participator

Post by veronicanguyen » Fri May 29, 2015 11:50 pm

Thanks so much, lots of roses to you