CHCDIV001 Culture

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
gillharbans

CHCDIV001 Culture

Post by gillharbans » Wed May 10, 2017 10:36 pm

1. What legislative requirements must we consider when working with diversity?

My answer is as follows and trainer is not happy

It is illegal to discriminate against others, particularly when it occurs within a workplace or during employment processes. Discrimination is an ethical issue that can result in legal prosecution.
The rights that all employees should receive include responsibilities that are evident in healthy workplaces where all staff work together for the good of all.
These ideals include:
Treating all employees and employers fairly and with respect
Everyone taking responsibility for workplace diversity and inclusion
All participants being responsible for identifying and improving diversity and inclusion levels.

Question 2. Identify two types of signs that don’t contain written words that could be understood by most people, regardless of their culture.
My answer is
Signs are pictorial or written messages that are used to convey a clear message. Pictorial signs are often used to ensure those who are unable to read still understand the message; for example; No smoking, No Entry

Question 3. Describe how a person’s cultural identity and biases influence their cultural awareness when undertaking different work roles. Consider a person working in an early childhood service – what strategies would they need to use to ensure their individual perspectives don’t impact negatively on interactions or ideas about others?

My answer is
SOCIAL AND CULTURAL PERSPECTIVE AND BIAS
You may come across many cultures in your work in children’s services, so you need to be respectful of any differences and accommodate them wherever possible.
Knowledge of the various factors that make up a culture can assist you in developing trusting relationships that are non-discriminatory and may also help you to meet the needs of children, families and co-workers.
Children copy your actions and behaviour, so positive attitudes that reflect equality and value others should be displayed at all times. This will help influence children, other educators and parents to develop understanding and acceptance of diversity.
Causes of social and cultural bias
Cultural bias usually relates to fear or misunderstanding. It occurs when someone feels their values and beliefs are not in line with another person of a different culture, especially when the life choices of another are not acceptable or clear to the person.
Many of us feel discomfort when we are confronted with someone or something that demonstrates cultural values different to our own. These feelings relate to our need to be accepted or for us to accept others, and are often linked to biases, stereotypes or other negative information we have received through others.

Question 4. Explain how to identify and act on ways to improve your own social awareness concerning diversity and inclusiveness.

my answer is
INCLUSIVENESS
Being culturally sensitive can assist in your interactions with families. Asking parents and educators for information about their beliefs and views demonstrates respect for family values, shows interest in their life and may also encourage them to participate more in the service environment.
Children use observation to learn desirable behaviour. Therefore, it is essential that educators model appropriate, culturally sensitive behaviour to help create a friendly, safe, respectful and effective learning environment.
By focusing positively and openly on similarities and differences, diversity becomes an interesting and even exciting experience. As children can recognise differences between each other, they should also learn to show respect to others and why this is important.
Modelling is an effective way to teach children how to

Question 5. Explain how the characteristics of age and generational differences are key areas of diversity.
My answer is as which did not satisfy my trainer

Generational
Research shows that each generation approaches life and work in a different way. Their unique attitudes, ambitions and world views being shaped by the social and historical events that they have lived through. Within Australia we have:
• The Silent Generation(ages 59 and older)
• Baby Boomers (ages 41 to 58)
• Generation X (ages 24 to 40)
• empathise with others
• show affection
• help and share
• respect others’ opinions and needs
• follow cultural customs.

Question 6. Explain how the characteristics of sexual orientation/sexual identity (lesbian, gay, bisexual, heterosexual) are key areas of diversity.
My answer is as follows and trainer is not satisfied

Sexual orientation
Sexual orientation means a person’s sexual orientation towards:
• persons of the same sex
• persons of a different sex
• persons of the same sex and persons of a different sex.
Terms commonly used to describe a person’s sexual orientation include gay, lesbian, homosexual, bisexual, pansexual, straight and heterosexual. All of these groups are represented in Australian society.

Question 7. Write a brief paragraph explaining the political features of diversity in Australia and how these impact on different areas of work and life.
My answer is as under and trainer is not happy

Diversity in Australia
Australia is one of the most diverse countries in the world today. It is influenced by people from many countries and it provides individuals the opportunity to make life choices based on their unique values and beliefs.
There are, however, political, social, economic and cultural features of diversity that impact on different areas of our work and life. Depending on your needs and values, these can cause limitations or benefits.
Australian people and the diverse communities within Australia have the opportunity to learn from each other. There are economic, cultural and social advantages, such as increased trade benefits, and increased linguistic diversity.

Please help
thanks in advance

MJBrook

Re: CHCDIV001 Culture

Post by MJBrook » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Gill,
sorry I am no help but I am also stuck on question 7 and wondering if you could help me? did you find an answer your trainer was happy with? any assistance would be appreciated!