CHCDIV001 Culture

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
gillharbans

CHCDIV001 Culture

Post by gillharbans » Wed May 10, 2017 10:09 pm

1. Describe your own upbringing, social and cultural perspectives, and biases in a paragraph.

My Answer is as follows and the trainer is not happy with this

As an Educator I may come across many cultures in my work in children's services. So, I need to be respectful of any differences wherever possible and try to accommodate them. I should have knowledge of various factors that make up a culture and that will assist me in developing trusting relationships that are non discriminatory. It will help me to meet the needs of children, families and co-workers. Children copy our actions and behaviour so educator must always display positive attitudes that reflect equality and value. This will help influence children educators and parents to develop understanding and acceptance of diversity. 

Cultural bias usually indicate to fear or  misunderstanding. It occurs when some one feels that his values and beliefs are not in line with others and are superior and life choices of another are not acceptable. We are often linked to biases. Many of us feel discomfort when we are confronted with many cultures.

Question 2
Case study
An Aboriginal family is commencing at Velma’s service next week. The family includes two children, one aged 5 the other 7 years. The children haven’t been in a centre environment before and the mother, Harriet, seems quite reluctant and is not forthcoming with any type of information regarding her children. When participating in an orientation with the children during the week, she didn’t look at any staff members when they were speaking to her, ask questions or respond to questions being asked of her.

Question

1. Describe potential reasons why the Aboriginal mother may be interacting in this manner, including social, political and economic issues relevant to the Aboriginal culture and heritage.

My answer is as follows and trainer is not happy with this
Children have both short and long-term impact on their behaviour. When children do not feel a sense of belonging or feel ashamed of their identity.
All indigenous people suffer the same or similar social, political and economic issues. For these indigenous Australians who are in situations of disadvantage,Western culture has bestowed upon them the following challenges.
Loss of land ownership and culture including their spiritual obligations to the dreaming. Remote areas where services and opportunities are low. Medical facilities are not being accessed due to remoteness . They are hesitant to seek advice from health professionals. Education systems provide methods of teaching that are often unfamiliar or are left to have little value.
As a result of above noted effects of western people Aboriginal mother may be interacting in this manner. It is an indication of humiliation and inferiority although many changes have been brought in through legislation to protect their rights.

Question 3.
How could you work towards achieving THE GOAL IS IMPROVING APPROACH TOWARDS NEW FAMILIES.? List three actions you would undertake as you worked towards it.

My answer is as follows and trainer is not happy with this

'Improving approach new families' You must accept and value each child's culture including their language, values, abilities, background and experiences. A culturally - sensitive approach incorporates a non - biased attitude and acceptance of other people's values, opinions and cultural customs, which includes their specific needs which are explained here under:
Background information: In some cultures it may be a sign of disrespect to discuss or request information about personal lives and differences. This may include discussion about or even reference to deceased people.
Personal information :- In some cultures it is acceptable to ask about things such as politics, religion, income and health status when you first meet someone, and in others it is not.
Personal Space :- Different cultures have standards for providing personal space when interacting socially. People of some cultures believe you should create an arm’s length of space between others, while some people believe in physical contact while communicating.
On the basis of the above sources information can be gathered about these needs and action can be initiated to address these needs with regular reviews.

please help me
Thanks in advance