CHC50113 Scenerio-Bella , not walking

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
zanna

CHC50113 Scenerio-Bella , not walking

Post by zanna » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:40 am

Scenerio-A
The parent of Bella (13 months) is concerned because Bella is not yet walking. She has noticed that other children Bella’s age and even younger are walking. The parent asks if she should put Bella into a walker which she has been given by a friend.
Bella did not begin to crawl until she was 10 months old and did not sit without support until 9 months old. She is not yet pulling herself up to a standing position but actively crawls and can easily move from sitting to crawling to sitting. She is able to manoeuvre herself into, under, and out of small spaces. Bella is demonstrating age-appropriate skills and behaviours in all other developmental areas.
Q-1: What advice/information would you provide Bella’s parent?
My answer- Kids don’t develop in a strict timetable. Bella’s childhood shows developmental delay. However, as she is not yet pulling herself up to a standing position, it could be a cause of concern for her parents. Bella’s parent should be informed that Bella might have lack of motor skill to stand and walk. To support Bella they can consult a pediatrician to check whether she has a low muscle tone or not. If she has low muscle tone then they the pediatrician might give her physical therapy to improve. If she is ok then it might be just a developmental delay for which nothing to worry about. My assessor says its not correct..........
Scenerio-B
Leila (3.6years) is an outdoors girl. She loves climbing, kicking and throwing balls, digging in the garden and making dams in the digging patch. She has two older brothers who are keen footballers and an older sister who is excelling in ballet. Leila’s parents are concerned that Leila shows no interest in fine motor activities, has poor scissor skills and an immature pencil grip.
Q-2 What advice/information would you provide the parent?
My answer- At 3.6 years of age Leila loves climbing, kicking and throwing balls, digging in the garden and making dams in the digging patch which clearly shows signs of motor development. However, having lack of interest in scissor skills and a young pencil grip shows Leila’s lack of fine motor development which is possible to improve by practice. I would suggest the parents to encourage her in the following activities at home to improve her fine motor development :
• Threading and lacing: with a variety of sized laces and beads.
• Tongs or teabag squeezers: to pick up objects (e.g. put marbles down a marble maze).
• Manipulation games: such as ‘Pick up Sticks’ and ‘Connect 4’.
• Play-doh: Using the fingers, not the hands as whole; working with the Play-doh up in the air, not flat on the table.
• Construction: that requires pushing and pulling with fingers (e.g. ‘Mobilo’, ‘K’nex’ or ‘Lego’).
• Storing construction materials in jars with screw lids that need to be opened and closed as the materials are needed and when packed away.
• Craft: Make things using old boxes, egg cartons, wool, paper and sticky or masking tape.

Besides, parents should Encourage enjoyment in activity participation instead of focusing on a ‘successful’ outcome (e.g. rewarding pencil to paper attempts, not whether the drawing actually looks like a car or a house). Assessor says i need to find out what she can do with the skills she already have and she is not interested in fine motor skills. I need to revise the answer.
Scenerio-C
Carlos (4.9yrs) is a bright and intense child. He loves to research information about animals and insects. He’s also a collector – shells, rocks, erasers, marbles . Carlos has a reading age of 7-8yrs and has taught himself to write. Carlos is a serious collector and his grandfather has taught him how to document his collections. Lately Carlos has been complaining of headaches, back and shoulder pain. He tends to sit hunched over when reading and writing and he also holds his pen quite firmly.
Q-3 What advice/information would you provide the parents?
My answer- Carlos parents should be informed about Carlos symptom of headaches, back and shoulder pain and that he tends to sit hunched over when reading and writing and he also holds his pen quite firmly. Carlos is very bright and intense children and has a reading age of 7-8 years which shows he has born with more efficient neural connections. For this gift the child might e having some neurological problems. Pressing too hard on the pencil when writing shows proprioceptive difficulties and hunching over when reading and writing shows vision problem. I would advise his parents to diagnose Carlos for these symptoms immediately as he might have some vision problem or neurological problem.
Assessor says I need to extend my answer in relation to things Carlos can do to help with the issues present in scenario.

This was my second attempt and now I am doing my last attempt. I can't think of anything else. Could anyone please help me...........