Using A Rewards Chart In The Preschool Room

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Stacey Louise

Using A Rewards Chart In The Preschool Room

Post by Stacey Louise » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:40 pm

Hello,

I have a rewards chart in my preschool room. Is this allowed?
Children are to obtain 10 stickers over the year to receive a goodie bag and a reward.
I am ensuring that each child will receive a reward.

I've heard both yes and no answers and i'm quite confused.

Cheers
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Using A Rewards Chart In The Preschool Room

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:07 am

Using a reward chart I think is fine but it depends on their purpose and the age group. For example: for toilet training a toddler it's great because it's an instant reward that the child gets it then and there. For preschoolers, I think they should understand why we need to behave positively or do the right thing without having to get a reward for it. They're at a stage when they are aware of rules and guidelines that are enforced and can choose whether or not to follow these rules. Toddlers on the other hand and just learning about themselves so they have no control over their emotions so both preschoolers and toddlers are at different stages and different understanding which makes it more beneficial to keep rewards for simple tasks the toddlers can complete.

You mentioned in your post that a child collects 10 stickers over a period of a year... What does a child need to do to get a sticker? How does a child remember what they received their sticker for? In my opinion, I think you should change the sticker into a much more meaningful experience such as a "Thank you" book for each child. It could be a small notebook and each time a child does something positive you can write a thank you note in their "thank you" book, which you can date and message. Each child can look back on these and remember what they did. The children could also give thanks to one another, in each others "thank you" books by drawing a picture or getting you to write a message for them... I think this will encourage a preschooler and show how much they are appreciated for what they have done!

Hope this gives you another idea you could use,

:geek:,
Lorina

childhoodmatters

Post by childhoodmatters » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:11 pm

A year is way to long in a child's mind. The rewards need to be tallied daily at a minimum. The reward needs to associate with behavior so smaller stickers through out the day and small reward at end if goal met. If you are looking at rewards, reward clear and concise good actions such as picking up, sitting down when asked, playing quiet. Make them repeat why they are getting the reward and make sure to give hope and remind the children that don't meet the goal the motivation to try again.

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:35 am

Hi Stacey,
I use a reward chart sometimes and agree with the others, A year is way too long. For my pre preps we might start using them if some behaviours need some help and encouraging to get under control. If they can get a tick or sticker daily at the end of their week it is a little reward. I don't use them for any other age group. If the other little ones do something the reward is straight away, whether it be a certificate to take home, a special sticker in their communication book etc.
Linsaa fdc :wave: