Guidance Continuum Of Supporting Children's Behaviour

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
dyaanleigh

Guidance Continuum Of Supporting Children's Behaviour

Post by dyaanleigh » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi guys,

I'm having troubles finding the answer to this's question about children's behavior and hoping that you could help me it would be great.

List the ten levels of the Guidance Continuum that educators can use to support children while managing behaviour.

1 = least intervention 10 = most intervention

Thanks
Dyaan x

Lorina

Re: Guidance Continuum Of Supporting Children's Behaviour

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:57 pm

I haven't heard of this before... Could it be something like what strategies educators can use to manage behaviour such as:

- setting clear consistent rules
- provide choices
- acknowledging positive behaviour
- stating expectations

and using these to determine which behaviour needs the lesat intervention or the most... such as a child throwing toys - providing choice (intervention 3)...

Hope this makes sense,

:geek:,
Lorina

Gracenaraa

Re: Guidance Continuum Of Supporting Children's Behaviour

Post by Gracenaraa » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:09 am

Hope this help.
1. Ignore: Let children sort it out for themselves.
2. Listen and watch: Make sure you hear what the children are saying. Become aware of the issues. Make sure children see you are watching and available.
3. Act as reporter: Say what you notice and hear. ‘It looks like there’s a problem here.’ ‘I see two children fighting.’ ‘There are three children and one bike.’ ‘I’m hearing shouting/whinging/crying.’
4. Step in/set limits: Protect physical or emotional security. ‘Stop the hitting.’ ‘We use words, not our hands.’ ‘I can’t let you hurt her feelings.’ ‘Running inside causes accidents – wait until you go outside.’
5. Ask questions: ‘Is there a problem?’ ‘How do you feel about that?’ ‘What is happening here?’
6. Brainstorm: Encourage the child to say what to do. ‘How could we solve this problem?’ ‘Who has a good idea?’ ‘What could you do so that you will both be happy?’ ‘What could you do instead of pushing?’
7. Offer ideas: ‘You could get another hammer and work together.’ ‘Maybe you need to play alone for a while.’ ‘Perhaps you could join your roads together.’
8. Offer a choice: ‘These are the two things that need to be done. You may choose which you will do first and which you will do second. You can put your things away now and hear our story, or you can put them away during story and miss hearing it.’ This strategy is particularly effective for children who are disorganised and disruptive.
9. Take action alongside: The practitioner takes the lead and directs the child by guiding, prompting and modelling. ‘Here’s what we’ll do together.’ ‘Let’s talk about what you can do so this won’t happen again.’
10. Do it you: Take command and tell the children what to do. ‘It seems too difficult to play here. You need to go and play somewhere else.’ ‘You have to do something to make him feel better. Go and ask Annie for a wet washer.

Credit: adapt from Gordon and Browne (1996) guiding young children in a diverse society, allyn and bacon, boston p.106

Refer the link below:-
LINK