Getting the children to respect me

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lorina

Re: Getting the children to respect me

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:16 am

linsaa fdc wrote:Hi ClaireR,
Unfortunately children are indoctrinated from a very young age by the shows they watch on TV that parents shouldn't 'interfere' with their lives. Too many people wait till the children are older to teach them respect but it starts when they are very little and never stops. Your brother has a difficult road ahead if she hasn't learnt to respect by now.
I have a 2year old girl in my care who hits and screams at her dad every afternoon when she is picked up because she doesn't want to go home. Her parents attitude is that she is too little to discipline now but I'm afraid that when she is older she would have already been doing that behaviour for such a long time it will be very hard for her to stop, she never does it to me and I do not accept her screaming at everyone at my place either. If the behaviour isn't stopped when they are younger it gets worse not better.
Linsaa fdc :wave:
I agree! Respect should be taught from an early age! We are continually teaching my 3 year old about respect on a daily basis. From the way she speaks to us and family, to listening and understanding to what is being said to her without complaints, having mutual understanding for each other as well as mutual respect for one another. We explain everything to her to make her understand the importance of respect and in those rare cases she doesn't show respect we sit and talk to her about it and it doesn't happen again. It's so much easier to get it together now because it's going to be so much harder in the future and will cause a lot of problems if a child doesn't respect their parents especially for a girl!

:geek:,
Lorina