Child with Autism who is biting

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
ozchez
Participator
Participator

Child with Autism who is biting

Post by ozchez » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:53 am

I have a new child at my centre who has diagnosed Autism and Global Development Delay. He has only been coming for 3 weeks (2 days per week). I was told beforehand that he is a biter and has only just bitten one child last week. I have dealt with many children with various development delays and obtained information for various places and people along the way through my child care career (22 years). I did find previously a website that had information translated into different languages but I can no longer find this. I am looking for information for Vietnamese with the information about biting that I can give to mum (she doesn't speak English).

Thanks in advance for any help
Cheryl

Lorina

Re: Child with Autism who is biting

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi Cheryl,

It's so hard to explain to parents exactly what is going on with their child, especially when they don't speak any English. I had a look and I wasn't able to come across any information in Vietnamese either. The best thing you could probably do is ring a translation service and get them translate to mum about what's going on. I think the Australian government does this as a free service and if it is something that you wanted to do as an alternative, let me know and I can find more information for you.

I'll keep checking on my end and see if I come across anything in the meantime...

:geek:,
Lorina

ozchez
Participator
Participator

Re: Child with Autism who is biting

Post by ozchez » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Thanks Lorina

I don't know if I can mention the website that does do some translations on information in different languages but that site doesn't have it on biting but still does on other topics.

I am fortunate enough that we have an educator at work that does speak Vietnamese and whenever I do need to pass on information I utilise her as much as possible. The child also has a worker from Scope that has been coming to see him and we are also in the process getting funding also. With that funding they have determined that we need communication strategies and skills with both the child and the mother (father not in the picture).

Thanks again
Cheryl