child fears others will be left behind

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
indaroom

child fears others will be left behind

Post by indaroom » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:15 pm

Just wondering if anyone has come across a child who is Kinder age that will have an anxiety meltdown when they think their sibling will be left behind when being picked up from care? This also happens if the child thinks others will be left outside when we are going indoors. The child gets extremely upset and keeps telling the children/sibling to come with everyone.
Thank you in advance

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: child fears others will be left behind

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:17 am

Hi Indaroom,

Yes I had this situation once and I don't know if that was the right way to handle it but it worked for us. We would call Mum and Mum reassured the child their sibling was ok and that settled him. With the other children in care I would get him to help call everyone inside and help me count that everyone was there.
After a while of doing that he felt safe and assured that everyone was alright and it settled down.
In saying that though any new situation that the Mum encountered it would flare up again but I had no more problems in care.

Linsaa fdc :wave:

Lorina

Re: child fears others will be left behind

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:07 pm

I think getting the child to help you in getting children organised between transitions, during pick-ups to re-assure them that no one has been left behind...

:geek:,
Lorina