ADD/ADHD or Bad Behaviour

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

ADD/ADHD or Bad Behaviour

Post by Macoola » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:35 pm

Hi everyone,

A new child has just started at my centre who has ADD/ADHD. He is 6 turning 7 this year. I know that ADD/ADHD children have difficulty listening, concentrating, focusing and remembering. But I am finding it hard to know when to draw the line, so to speak, of what is out of his control and what isn't.

For example: today for the forth time (that day) I asked his what he should do when someone says no (he was in the process of stealing another child's thing they had made for their cubby), he replied 'stop'. I commended him for his correct answer and he kept playing. Straight after he ran back to where that same child he was just exasperating and starting destroying and ripping down his cubby. The other child yelled stop repeatedly and eventually put himself in front of the cubby to protect it. The child with ADD then began to his the other child and kept destroying the cubby and stealing things. All the while I was running across the oval yelling this child's first and last name telling him to stop and come here. Finally when I got there I had to grab the child with ADD's arm to get him to stop. I got him to look me in the eyes as that is what him Mum had said was needed to make sure he is listening. I said: '(child's name) what did I just say to you?'. He replied 'Stop when they say stop'. I then asked why he had done it then and he had no answer. I made him apologise then put him in time out. In my whole career in child care I have never used time out and I don't like it but it seemed to be the only thing to get him away from hurting others or destroying their things. (Also today he ran away into an out of bounds area which is far away out of sight and I had to leave the other children to chase him and bring him back)

I haven't really had much to do with ADD/ADHD and need advice. I guess what I find hard is he seems to remember and understand what I tell him but still never obeys?? I want to know what I should expect of him?? What is bad behaviour and what is out of his control? How do I help him? What are some strategies I could use? How do I protect the other children in my care?

Sorry I know this is a long on but I am quite inexperienced when it comes to ADD/ADHD and would appreciate any advice. Also on one day I have 12-15 kids and 2 are Autistic and then this child is ADD/ADHD, on that day I find supervision very difficult as I feel I can never take my eyes off this child.

Thanks Macoola

Lorina

Re: ADD/ADHD or Bad Behaviour

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:49 am

Hi Macoola,

That's definitely very stressful haven't to put up with this on your own. You got a good head on your shoulders trying deal with all of this! Good on you! Alright, so it's normal bad behaviour that this specific child is displaying but it is typical of a child with ADHD. It's hard he spends all day at school and then goes to OOSH. So by this time he must have all this energy ready to explode which causes him to become hyperactive and out of control. I've aded some information below which provides simple strategies you can try:

Children with ADHD bore easily and their fast spinning minds need extra stimulation. In the absence of nothing better to do, children with ADHD will lean on their own devises and you don't want them doing that...The quick-fix calming techniques work to sooth the child with ADHD after they already became too stressed or active.

Create a calming environment:
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder children have difficulty remaining calm in a hectic environment. Clearing the clutter and taking a "less is more" approach to decorating can reduce the sensory overload on the ADHD child.

Follow a Routine:
All children thrive in environments that provide routines, consistency and structure. Children with ADHD especially need structure and schedules to feel secure in their surroundings. For these children, a more "military" approach to routines works better. Familiar daily routine should all occur at about the same time every day, with few surprises to upset the Attention Deficit or hyperactive child.

A Place to Relax:
If at all possible, find a space to designate as a relaxation space. It does not have to be a large space but it does need to be away from high activity areas. This little corner can have a beanbag chair and a few books, colouring books or other quiet time activities.

Encourage the child to go to this space when they become angry or out of control, but never make this a place of punishment. This special spot is a positive place where they can go to settle down, sort things out or just hang out when they need to be alone.

Journaling:
For the child who is old enough to write, journaling is an excellent way to untangle frazzled minds and get things off their chest. This technique allows children with ADHD to spill their internal stresses outside themselves and onto paper

Ref: http://www.familyplus.ca/

Here is some more information on how to deal with behaviour regarding a child with ADHD:

Managing ADHD
Self Regualtion/Self Control
Impulse Control

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:31 am

Thanks for your reply Lorina I really appreciate any help I can get

Esther_te82

Post by Esther_te82 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:14 pm

Lorina wrote:Hi Macoola,

That's definitely very stressful haven't to put up with this on your own. You got a good head on your shoulders trying deal with all of this! Good on you! Alright, so it's normal bad behaviour that this specific child is displaying but it is typical of a child with ADHD. It's hard he spends all day at school and then goes to OOSH. So by this time he must have all this energy ready to explode which causes him to become hyperactive and out of control. I've aded some information below which provides simple strategies you can try:

Children with ADHD bore easily and their fast spinning minds need extra stimulation. In the absence of nothing better to do, children with ADHD will lean on their own devises and you don't want them doing that...The quick-fix calming techniques work to sooth the child with ADHD after they already became too stressed or active.

Create a calming environment:
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder children have difficulty remaining calm in a hectic environment. Clearing the clutter and taking a "less is more" approach to decorating can reduce the sensory overload on the ADHD child.

Follow a Routine:
All children thrive in environments that provide routines, consistency and structure. Children with ADHD especially need structure and schedules to feel secure in their surroundings. For these children, a more "military" approach to routines works better. Familiar daily routine should all occur at about the same time every day, with few surprises to upset the Attention Deficit or hyperactive child.

A Place to Relax:
If at all possible, find a space to designate as a relaxation space. It does not have to be a large space but it does need to be away from high activity areas. This little corner can have a beanbag chair and a few books, colouring books or other quiet time activities.

Encourage the child to go to this space when they become angry or out of control, but never make this a place of punishment. This special spot is a positive place where they can go to settle down, sort things out or just hang out when they need to be alone.

Journaling:
For the child who is old enough to write, journaling is an excellent way to untangle frazzled minds and get things off their chest. This technique allows children with ADHD to spill their internal stresses outside themselves and onto paper

Ref: http://www.familyplus.ca/

Here is some more information on how to deal with behaviour regarding a child with ADHD:

Managing ADHD
Self Regualtion/Self Control
Impulse Control

Hope this helps,

Lorina
Thanks Lorina these are terrific resources!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:33 am

No problem! :thumbup:

We can use some of these techniques for all children. Especially for those older children in OOSH. Children spend 7 hours a day or so at school then they need a place to unwind and chill out. It would be great to incorporate some of these ideas into the program so all children will benefit.

Lorina

Bertha29

Post by Bertha29 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:22 pm

What is the Boroondara council version of acknowledgement of country

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:38 pm

Bertha29 wrote:What is the Boroondara council version of acknowledgement of country
This isn't relevant to the topic. Start a new assignment topic.

-Lorina

Esther_te82

Post by Esther_te82 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:41 am

Lorina wrote:QR_BBPOST We can use some of these techniques for all children. Especially for those older children in OOSH. Children spend 7 hours a day or so at school then they need a place to unwind and chill out. It would be great to incorporate some of these ideas into the program so all children will benefit.
What a lovely idea!