Assistant Educator Job Description - Programming?

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
balanceandcomposure

Assistant Educator Job Description - Programming?

Post by balanceandcomposure » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:59 pm

Hi, I'm an Assistant Educator at a child care centre and my Group Leader has been insisting I write learning stories/observations which I'm reluctant to do since I don't have much free time plus I'm not being paid for it (I used to do the programming but stopped because of said reasons) Am I right to refuse to write the learning stories since I don't believe it's in my job description? Or am I expected to help out with programming since I'm an assistant?

Miranda C

Re: Assistant Educator Job Description - Programming?

Post by Miranda C » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:21 am

Hello, I also work as an assistant and I have always contributed to the room's curriculum. There are a number of benefits to your room, your teammates and yourself that arise when each team member has an input into the learning cycle.
*The load is shared: (It would be almost impossible for one person to cover the necessary amount of learning obs, their extensions and the associated reflections each month).
*You learn more about the children and are able to support their development accordingly: (Part of an assistant's role is to contribute to the learning and development of each child within their care).
*I know it sucks, but literally noone has the free time: (Everyone I have ever worked with has completed their allocated number of learning obs per week at home).
*You are able to learn and develop within your role and as a valued member of your service: (Experience builds over time, as does practical knowledge).

There are heaps of aspects of any role within the early childhood industry that are really unfair (work load being a massive one) and I really do understand where you are coming from sweety, but I try to just put my head down and provide the best quality of care to the children that I am able to.. (aaaand keep hoping for that payrise lol).

Lorina

Re: Assistant Educator Job Description - Programming?

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi There,

I agree with Miranda! I think it's important for you to get involved with writing learning stories and observations. Even though you are only an assistant educator, it's vital that you have knowledge in each child's development and learning. Completing documentation is one way to gain an understanding of a child's abilities, skills and interests and knowing how to incorporate these within in the program will enable you to get a deeper understanding of the child's learning. Documentation is a shared process and shouldn't just be left for the room leader.

Also, when you write observations or learning stories for example, your views and interpretation would be different from what your room leader will probably write so this also enables the child to get an overall assessment since there will be "two sets of eyes" observing and watching.

You should be willing to share your thoughts, share you ideas, share what you want to implement within the room... Being an assistant educator doesn't mean you take a step back and just be given all the crappy jobs to do... Room leaders have the responsibility of the overall room management and documentation but as an assistant it's your responsibility to "assist" the room leader in all areas. You are part of the team and you should take responsibility in documentation also...

Just sharing my thoughts!

:geek:,
Lorina