Vacation care programming

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
RenMol

Vacation care programming

Post by RenMol » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi I was wondering if any one can tell me how much paper work is required for vacation care. The templates are great but is there some examples- web page we can visit of the written work within the templates that can guide us. To show cross referencing. I am from early childcare. We program having focus children- journals etc. Children are booked in on a regular basis.
Vacation care is a totally different system. Children come maybe one or two days max.
Any feedback is much appreciated xxx

Lorina

Re: Vacation care programming

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:13 am

Vacation care programs are different because you are mostly planning excursions away or at the centre. Some children may only ever come once or twice depending on what type of excursion is available on that particular day.

So, for vacation care you are not planning for an individual child but for a group of children. In saying this, you still need to incorporate the My Time, Our Place framework within your vacation care program. This an be achieved by creating programs with children to ensure all children have an opportunity to express their interests. You could do a simple questionnaire that current children attending OOSH fill in about what types of excursions they would like to go on, places of interests or what do they do when they are out and about etc. This gives you an idea on what types of excursions the children may be interested in. Once you get the children's suggestions you can get some ideas, share them with the children and get them to vote on what excusions or events take place during vacation care.

I have a sample Vacation Care program for you to see so you can get an idea on what you can do:

Vacation Care Program - Sample

To this program I would probably include more elements of the My Time, Our Place framework such as under each excursion add a learning outcome, principle and practice as well as an input source, I would also evaluate and reflect on each excursion or event that takes place during vacation care to determine the learning that took place for the children (kind of like Reflections Of Our Day). You could even get the children who went on the excursion to reflect on what they did and use this as part of the documentation, The best thing about working with older children is that you could use "their voice" in most parts of your documentation for evaluating and reflecting on experiences.

At the moment I don't have a template for vacation care but something maybe in the future I can create.

Hopefully this gives you a few ideas,

:geek:,
L.A

RenMol

Post by RenMol » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:12 pm

Thankyou so much for your time. It is much appreciated. I thought as much we didn't have to program the individual doing day books and all. If you find out or can get access to others way of programming for vacation care showing the link with My time our place- would be great. xxx

RenMol

Post by RenMol » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:20 pm

Hi also what does Mtop stand for in the vacation care templates on this web site.

Ren x

RenMol

Post by RenMol » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Ow my goodness just ignore. I worked it out Lol. My time our place. Having bad day x

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:32 am

Have you seen the OOSH Program Sample (click sample) on here:

OOSH Sample Template

For vacation care it's kind of the same idea of adding the Learning Outcomes and Input keys to each experience or event that takes place throughout the week. You can see the goal for each experience as well as the source of where the experience originated from (input key). With a vacation care program you probably don't need to be this detailed but hopefully it gives you a starting point of where you can begin...

If this doesn't help then just try googling "Vacation Care Program Samples" and see if you can find anything.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

RenMol

Post by RenMol » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:07 pm

hI,
YES THANKS I HAVE SEEN THE OOSH TEMPLETE. IT IS GREAT.
I TRIED GOOGLING THE VACATION CARE SAMPLES AND IT JUST COMES BACK TO THIS WEB SITE.

CHEERS REN X