Supporting Educators To Complete Weekly Reflections

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Corrie Alyce Carmins

Supporting Educators To Complete Weekly Reflections

Post by Corrie Alyce Carmins » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi all,

I work at a centre and am the room leader for 2 -3 yr olds, 2IC and Ed Leader.

As Ed Leader I feel it is my role to inspire and encourage others to create a continous cycle of learning and for the most part, every one does.
The only draw back and constant thing I feel I have to talk about is reflections. This is a never ending battle for me! I have tried talking to the educators about in in person, at staff meetings, handing out helpful hints, offering to sit with them and help them write their reflections... but no matter what I try, it doesn't work!

Any ideas to help get everyone completing regular reflections would be fantastic!
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: Supporting Educators To Complete Weekly Reflections

Post by linsaa fdc » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi Corrie,

I hear your pain. I battled for a while with all this and it was when I had a new Coordinator and she could see how I was struggling, she took the time to make up a little list of questions for reflection and for evaluations, each time I had to write I looked at each question and answered it. Having started childcare before all the documenting, myself and other Educators my age did everything on autopilot and struggled getting things out of our heads and onto paper, the questions really helped me articulate things and I think where there are some who are not doing the reflections might be because they don't understand it clearly. Some simple questions to ask themselves, and written down so they don't forget, might help. :) The line between evaluate and reflect still blurs a bit sometimes.
linsaa fdc

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:59 am

Hi Corrie,

I think some educators may feel that "reflections" are time consuming and don't want to do them. I don't think educators are aware that reflections are necessary to improve themselves and their practices. No matter how much you talk to them, I don't think you'll be able to get anywhere if they don't understand how to write it or even been given the time to do it. Educators probably don't want to do it during their break or at home so maybe give educators a "window" during their day where they are able to complete their own reflection. Not long just 10 minutes is necessary.

Like Linsaa suggested, prepare questions for your educators to answer to help them to reflect on their week. This will give them points to exactly think about and reflect upon. If you're still getting no where maybe make it a competition between the educators. For every "reflection" each educator does give them 5 points and depending on how much they fill give a point. The more detailed the more points they get. At the end of the month the educator with the most points get a prize. Prizes don't have to be expensive it could be getting a free lunch, extra 20 minute break, extra 20 minutes off the floor to do paperwork, etc. A little bribing always works! :lol:

I've also written the following article which may help:

Reflective Practices In Childcare

Hope this helps,
Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:02 am

Hi,
That's a very good article, I printed it out to refer to, thanks Lorina.
I don't know if its just me or if others think the same, but I still feel that reflections and evaluations are pretty much the same and I seem to be repeating myself or doubling up. I had this conversation a while ago with my coordinator and her explanation still left me thinking the same.
Any handy tips to differentiate the two?

linsaa fdc :think:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:22 pm

linsaa fdc wrote:Hi,
That's a very good article, I printed it out to refer to, thanks Lorina.
I don't know if its just me or if others think the same, but I still feel that reflections and evaluations are pretty much the same and I seem to be repeating myself or doubling up. I had this conversation a while ago with my coordinator and her explanation still left me thinking the same.
Any handy tips to differentiate the two?
Hi Linsaa,

It can be difficult to separate the two but once you have an understanding of how to write an evaluation or reflection it does get easier. Before the EYLF came out we didn't have to "reflect" or write " learning stories" like this and I think that's why it can be confusing and challenging to work out exactly what we need to do without overloading on the documentation.

Anyways, here is a forum topic where reflections and evaluations have been discussed. May help with your understanding:

Reflections & Evaluations

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina