Starting vacation care at an already approved service

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
oziwi

Starting vacation care at an already approved service

Post by oziwi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:03 pm

Hi I have been approached by our school council to start a vacation care program. I run a very successful large after school care program but have no idea what is required to operate a vacation care.
Where do I start and what do I need to do?
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Lorina

Re: Starting vacation care at an already approved service

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:22 pm

A vacation care is very similar to a Before and After School Care the main differences are with Vacation Care you're opened for the whole day and each day you can offer "excursions" that the children can go on. The excursions can be anything from mini golf, going to the movies, laser tag, zoo and aquarium visits etc. Based on what you're community has to offer as well as how you organize travel arrangements etc. the possibilities are endless...Incursions are also available where a "show" comes to your service for e.g. reptile man, science party etc. Along with excursions you need to offer activities for the children to participate in who don't go on excursions and you can also offer fun days or themed days as well instead of excursions... Pyjama day, water day, pirate day with a treasure hunt, amazing race day etc. You will still need to implement the procedures as you would in OOSH.... As in planning a program, policies, staffing (probably more since you may offer excursions etc)., whether you are providing meals or children are bringing their own food etc....

I think the best thing to do to get an idea of programming is to probably Google vacation care programs just so you can see how they are...

I'm also giving you some info on preparing for vacation care...

Preparing For Vacation Care

Hope this gives you an idea,

:geek:,
Lorina

oziwi

Re: Starting vacation care at an already approved service

Post by oziwi » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:47 pm

Thanks Lorina
I have been the director of our service for 10 years and am aware of the kind of activities I could incorporate into the vacation care program. I suppose my question should have been what paper work do I need to submit for vacation care and what are the pros and cons of vacation care?
Thank you