staff reflections in OOSH

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Rae1981

staff reflections in OOSH

Post by Rae1981 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi everyone,
I was just wandering how all of you other OOSH workers encourage your staff to contribute to programs, reflections and observations. We are from a very small service and I, have in the past done most of the work myself (something which got picked up at our A & R visit). I am now trying to encourage the staff to contribute more but am being met with some resistance. Has anyone come up with a method that seems to work for everyone?
Thanks in advance
Rae

Lorina

Re: staff reflections in OOSH

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:30 pm

Yeah, it's kinda frustrating if you have to do everything yourself. Maybe you can set up a "timetable" so to speak. It's probably easier to use a calender. So, you plan ahead and each day a staff member has a turn at doing an observation, programming and the reflection, until all staff have done it throughout the month and then the cycle starts again.

For example: On Monday Jenny and Tom do an observation each and Fiona does the reflection. They also have to come up with an activity each for the program for the next week based on what they have seen throughout the session. You can have an empty program for the following week which they can add the activity in... By the time next week comes around the program should be filled with experiences...

You will be getting some resistance from staff at the beginning because you've been doing all the work and now that they have to get involved they're not wanting to do it. Hopefully creating a timetable may help as each person gets a turn and it's easier to follow rather than say "you all have to do it". You also nee to explain to them that everyone needs to be involved and how its important that everyone contributes to the children's learning.

Hope this gives you an idea,

:geek:,
Lorina