Respectful Display of Artwork/Writing on artwork

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
aylajade

Respectful Display of Artwork/Writing on artwork

Post by aylajade » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:00 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew of any literature relating to not writing on children's artwork. I recall reading somewhere that by doing so, especially without a child's permission, you are not respecting their creation as it is and that it is more supportive to instead label the art on the back or to the side if displayed. Just trying to find where the info is :)

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: Respectful Display of Artwork/Writing on artwork

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:00 pm

Hi,

Personally I would/have never write on their artwork, only their name on the back if they can't write it themselves and if anything else is needed a post it note or a piece of paper attached with a paper clip so it can be taken off later.

Linsaa fdc :wave:

aylajade

Post by aylajade » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:33 pm

Agree :) just hoping to locate some literature to back up the idea :thumbup:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:10 pm

Yes, I agree. Children should say if they wanted their name written on the art work. I think this choice of asking a child if they wanted their name on their artwork is about respecting the child's rights and privacy. When we see art, artist's don't usually get a black marker and right their name in the top right corner. It is written on a plaque separately under the art work. The same can be done for displaying children's art as well. A small piece of card can be put under the artwork displaying the child's name (if they wanted) and a story about the artwork. We have to respect a child's rights and not writing their name on their art work and asking if we can display the art is just one of the smalls way we can show respect and build relationships with each child.

Here is some more information on respecting children:

Recognising Children's Rights To Privacy

:geek:,
Lorina