Reggio Emilla and Toddlers

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Rachael175

Reggio Emilla and Toddlers

Post by Rachael175 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:04 am

Hi :)

I recently just got my first job in the childcare industry at a brand new center. All the materials and resources ordered are all open ended (lots of leaves, acorns and very simple materials) We do have blocks, animals and pencils as well but my team in the toddlers room is finding it really difficult to get the children interested as quite a few are very boisterous and hard to get them to focus.

They want the center to be based (not exclusively) on reggio emilia's ideas and thinking but my team and I are finding it really difficult to get the children involved as they want all of our planning to be based off interests and such.

My diploma books don't really mention his theories and most of the educator resources are really expensive

I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with his teaching's and how to incorporate it with toddlers 18mths-3years, it seems very straightforward for preschool but not for young children

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: Reggio Emilla and Toddlers

Post by linsaa fdc » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:57 am

Hi Rachael175,
I haven't heard about the Reggio Emilia approach so had a quick look and I noticed that the fundamental principles sound very similar to our Learning Outcomes.
I found this interesting read http://www.aneverydaystory.com/30-days-typ/ that might help.

linsaa fdc :wave:

vhat

Post by vhat » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Reggio Emilia was created in Italy after World War II when the people decided they wanted to change their education system so that the catastrophes they created didn't happen again.

Reggio Emilia is an open ended program. So for example - little Johnny comes in with a great big leaf he's found on the street. So, you would follow that on by perhaps bringing in some more leaves for the children to explore on a nature table & perhaps provide autumn coloured crayons and paper.

Basically the children are encouraged to initiate their own play and staff are encouraged to foster it

Esther_te82

Post by Esther_te82 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:19 pm

Reggio Emilia approach is easily adopted to yoru classroom because the set of principles is quite general. This is my takeaway from research I did a few weeks ago.
I hope it helps!

the 5 principles of reggio emilia

1) all children are competent, curious and creative

How this is put into action:

When a child asks a Reggio teacher a question about why the sky is blue, rather than answering the question (assuming you could), that teacher joins the child in the act of wondering.

Child: Why is the sky blue?

Adult: Hmmmmm, great question. I’m not sure, why do you think it’s blue?

2) essential learning takes place within a system of relationships

Using our example of the sky, a classroom teacher sees that child’s questions and ideas as full of potential. She might ask the child to draw a picture illustrating her theories. Then great importance is placed on the next step in the process— sharing this picture and the child’s thoughts with the class. The conversation that it sparks would add more questions, facts and theories to the conversation, adding to the group’s knowledge base about all things related to the sky, and leading to more questions.

3) children’s questions and interests are a foundation for learning experiences

Supportive discussion techniques are encouraged through the use of language like, “I think,” or “I disagree” rather than discounting what someone knows might not be a “correct” theory. This is how curriculum is co-constructed (another progressive buzz word). The ideas are generated by the children, but given structure and purpose by the teachers. Teachers are continually asking the children to reflect on their old theories as they are faced with new information, feeding into the formulation of new theories.

4) children express themselves through many languages

In traditional U.S. schools, children are judged by their success using verbal and written forms of expression above all others, in part because test taking depends on these skills. In Reggio schools, all forms of expression are valued equally.

Children in a Reggio school begin to learn there are multiple ways to express an idea— whether it be visual, verbal, written or through movement and music. Through the use of multiple mediums, children develop expressive competence. As the children grow, the hope is that drawing a picture to express an idea will always be an option and an ability.

The guiding belief for the Reggio Approach is that children’s ideas are worthy of deep consideration. In a more traditional system, it’s the opposite— we take away the child’s role in developing the direction of their education. Instead of using their curiosity, we’re telling them at every age, through predetermined curriculum, what they should be wondering about at every stage of their growth. Rather than embedding literacy and math instruction within their interests, we disconnect them, creating boring and difficult exercises for skill acquisition without capitalizing on the motivation that joy and curiosity naturally provide.

Rachael175

Post by Rachael175 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:56 pm

Thank you so much for the information guys ill talk with the team about it all and hopefully it will set us on the right path x

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:29 am

The EYLF incorporates different approaches and theories and planning experiences based on children's interest in one of the fundamentals of the EYLF as well as Reggio Emelia. The EYLF encourages us educators to focus on each individual child, about what they are interested in, what their skills are. It wants us to stop focusing on what a child can't do and how we can improve them and rather let the child initiate their own learning by focusing on what they want to do and use their emerging interests to develop their learning.

For toddlers, it' hard to keep up with them at times but I think it's the way experiences are presented that makes a difference. Think about the way experiences are set up and how you can make them inviting for toddlers to come and want to play. For example: You can set up a table with a small place mat in front of each chair. On the placement you can add a ball of play dough on each mat and 2 bowls, one for leaves and one for acorns etc per child. This encourages a child to explore the natural ingredients with the play dough. In the centre of the table you could create a play dough sculpture using the natural materials as an example of what the children can do.

Another example would be use the blocks to create a zoo which you can set up in the morning. You could also add coloured paper on the floor, of the blocks, as water and grass to separate the water and land animals. Use shredded paper as animal food that the children could feed to the animals. If this becomes an interest you could help the toddlers male their own zoo animals using boxes etc.

I find with toddlers you need to push them along... provide experiences which are inviting and pleasing, always think when setting up an experience if you'd join in and play.

Hope this gives you some ideas,

:geek:,
Lorina