OSHC service

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Emily Ackermann

OSHC service

Post by Emily Ackermann » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:54 pm

Hi I just started working in a OSHC service. We cater from kindi to year 6.
They seem to have a fine morning plan just when it comes to the afternoon and transitioning kids from coming in all loud and when we need them to stop what there doing and listen seems to be a bit of a struggle. We don't wanna have to do the clapping rhythm or to raise our voice at them is there any transitional songs or things you do ?
Also with your afternoons do you have set activities I previously worked in childcare so we did have a lot more set out experiences. It felt like the kids were just doing whatever in the OSHC and I feel like we need a bit more guidance for the children and activities set up to engage them and keep them busy and not bored. Open to any ideas and suggestions.

Lorina

Re: OSHC service

Post by Lorina » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi Emily,

Yes, working in OOSH is a bit of a change compared to working in an LDC. OOSH children are older therefore at times a lot harder to control! Instead of clapping rhythm or raising your voice, why don't you pick out a popular song from the radio (not sure what older kids listen to these days! :giggle) and play it when they are coming inside. When the song plays they need to quietly come in, find a seat and wait for a couple of minutes until everyone is ready. Every time this song is played the children have to stop what they are doing and give the educators their full attention, you don't have to stick with the same song you can change it monthly or so.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:34 pm

In regards to experiences are you currently implementing a program?

Let me know so I can help get you started with ideas!

Lorina

Emily Ackermann

Post by Emily Ackermann » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:50 pm

I believe one of the nominated supervisors has a program in place, but I don't think they stick to it that much. That or sometimes there isn't a alternate option depending on the weather. Most of the experiences I know of are suitable for the younger kids from k-3 which I am not with until later on am with the 4-6 classes.

kstone75

Post by kstone75 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi Im new with OSHC has anyone got some templates on programming that they would share. Or have step by step guide as fro start to finish cycle in their program?? Hope this makes sense

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Emily Ackermann wrote:I believe one of the nominated supervisors has a program in place, but I don't think they stick to it that much. That or sometimes there isn't a alternate option depending on the weather. Most of the experiences I know of are suitable for the younger kids from k-3 which I am not with until later on am with the 4-6 classes.

Yeah, you will need to find experiences that suit the older children because they tend to get more bored and OOSh should provide them with some fun and interesting experiences that they can get involved in. If you don't have the resources, maybe you could somehow use what you got but make it more challenging for the older children in some ways... I would probably start off by having a meeting with the older children and just talk to them about what they want to do in your service, what activities interest them etc. and go from there... Rather than you having to find activities, why not go straight to the source (the kids themselves) and find out...

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:51 pm

kstone75 wrote:Hi Im new with OSHC has anyone got some templates on programming that they would share. Or have step by step guide as fro start to finish cycle in their program?? Hope this makes sense

We have a range of templates that could assist you in your programming needs:

Templates

You can download the samples for free to get a look on how to fill them in (so to speak).

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:54 pm

kstone75 wrote:Hi Im new with OSHC has anyone got some templates on programming that they would share. Or have step by step guide as fro start to finish cycle in their program?? Hope this makes sense

Just wanted to add most of our templates come with MS Word so this gives the option to edit the templates as you please. For e.g. if you find a template for EYLF that you would like to use in your OOSH service you could edit the components to fit in with your OOSH. There is many templates to choose from so have a browse through our templates...

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help!

Lorina