OOSH MTOP Observation

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
sydneyma

OOSH MTOP Observation

Post by sydneyma » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:37 am

Hi,

I work in a small OOSH with less than 20 kids per session. The staff have been writing observations in notebooks, however with the change of staff there is lack of consistency. So I am trying to develop a template that covers all areas of MTOP perhaps with options to do evaluation and follow up as well. Has anybody has a template like that I can have a look or any suggestions?

Thank you.
Sydney

Lorina

Re: OOSH MTOP Observation

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi Sydney,

We do have a few observation templates available. Even those these are primarily used for EYLF, all are editable (when purchasing a Premium Subscription) so you can edit it to MTOP framework.

You can view these here:

Observation Templates

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:59 pm

Next year I will be creating templates which focus more on MTOP and OOSH services. However, these won't be available for awhile yet. Is there anything specific you're after in regards to the Ob templates so I can get an idea on what to include in the template?

For example: do you use photos in the observation or is it mainly text?

Lorina

sydneyma

Post by sydneyma » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:45 pm

Thanks for that! Yes, we use a combination of text and photos. Basically we just write a short blurb on what a particular child is doing and link it up with MTOP, then use a photo to support that. To be honest, we haven't been assessed so I am not even sure if that would be sufficient? Do you have any idea on that?

Thank you.
Sydney

sydneyma

Post by sydneyma » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:44 pm

Hi Lorina,

I am new to programming and obs as I have never done programming before but have been given the task. So just another question in regards to MTOP in terms of programming. When I program the weekly activities, I have a theme for each week (for example bush fire), then I program different activities around that theme for each day, eg cooking, craft, sports etc. and then I link the activities/experience to MTOP & NQF. Is this how I suppose to do it? or am I on the wrong track?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:41 pm

sydneyma wrote:Thanks for that! Yes, we use a combination of text and photos. Basically we just write a short blurb on what a particular child is doing and link it up with MTOP, then use a photo to support that. To be honest, we haven't been assessed so I am not even sure if that would be sufficient? Do you have any idea on that?

Thank you.
Sydney
Yes, observe a child, link it the MTOP and extend their learning by providing a follow-up activity.

You can have a look at samples from our Observation templates so you can get an idea...

Observation Templates

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:49 am

sydneyma wrote:Hi Lorina,

I am new to programming and obs as I have never done programming before but have been given the task. So just another question in regards to MTOP in terms of programming. When I program the weekly activities, I have a theme for each week (for example bush fire), then I program different activities around that theme for each day, eg cooking, craft, sports etc. and then I link the activities/experience to MTOP & NQF. Is this how I suppose to do it? or am I on the wrong track?

In regards to the program, the experiences that you set up for the children need to come from a source. It's good to have some intentional teaching experiences (which is the activities that you want to implement) but you also need to include experiences based on children's interest, the child's input, spontaneous experiences, follow up experiences for child observations, parent input, extension ideas from daily reflection etc.

For example: if a child comes up to you and says "I went to the movies and saw Jurrasic Park on the weekend" you could use this information as part of your program. You could think of experiences based on dinosaurs. Such as the children "creating paper mache dinosaurs" which you can add to the program if a child says "I want to play monopoly" you could add this as child input on the program etc.

In regards to documentation do you daily reflections/daily dairies?

What other types of documentation do you do?

Lorina