Observations & Transition Statements

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Jellyfish521

Observations & Transition Statements

Post by Jellyfish521 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:05 pm

Hi Im not sure if you can help me. I asked a question today at my work and I was told that I need to do 2 written individual obs and transition statements this month. I get 10 hours programming per month around 3 per week. This equals 6 minutes per observation or transition statement. I find this very bad practice and no where near the quality that I want to provide in my job. Is there any documents within the regulations that states that transition statements can be used as an observation or other info stating that this is not necessary. Thank You

Lorina

Re: Observations & Transition Statements

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:00 pm

In the Children's Services Award it states that any educator responsible for the implementation of the program etc. is required to have a minimum of 2 hours of off the floor programming time per week. So, from what you said above you are getting the minimum requirement. It's up to your centre's discretion whether you get more programming time...

I understand that it's really not what you want and it's not nearly enough time to get your documentation done. However you have to find time to do it as observations are needed to plan for each individual child.

In regards to transition statements these are used to bridge the gap between preschool and primary school. The transition statements will give important information to the child's school teacher for next year which will help the child in their transition.... I don't think it's a necessity but again it's up to your centre if they want educators to do it and it does benefit the child.

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Observations & Transition Statements

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:03 pm

I can only suggest that you speak to your director and tell them that you want more time to get your documentation done...

I understand that it's hard to get everything done with such limited timing and it causes stress and frustration, you just have to try and come up with an agreement with your director. Utilise the assistant educators within the room and get them to assist you as well...

:geek:,
Lorina