Jottings For Observations

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
kells

Jottings For Observations

Post by kells » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:22 pm

I'm really having trouble understanding what exactly jottings are. Are they just a shorter form of an anecdote? Can you use jottings to record something that has been happening over a period of time?

My focus child kept going back to one book in particular this week and I'd like to record this repeated interest as one observation. Can I do that as a jotting?

Lorina

Re: Jottings For Observations

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:56 am

A jotting is usually short details of significant events, behaviours or conversations. It can be a couple of sentences to no longer than a paragraph at most. Jottings are a quick and easy way to record significant events and behaviours.

For example:

12.7.09: Rebecca (11 months) lies in her cot after waking up. P bends over her but she does not smile. H, her regular caregiver, comes over and Rebecca immediately starts to smile.

13.7.09: Rebecca is sitting on the mat playing with nesting cups. Toni (12 m) crawls to the rug and tries to take a cup from Rebecca’s hand. She squeals, holds on tight to the cup, looking around the room at the adults.

16.7.09: Rebecca enters the nursery with her mother. She hides her head in her mother’s shoulder and holds tightly to her shoulder. H comes over to her mother smiling. The two women talk in a friendly manner for two or three minutes. H then says 'time for Mummy to go', holds out her arms for Rebecca, who leans over and reaches out for H, smiling in return.

Interpretation

Rebecca is experiencing separation anxiety and stranger anxiety which is typical for infants at this age. It shows her growing awareness of others and her ability to discriminate between familiar and unfamiliar people. She is also showing her attachment to her mother and her primary caregiver—H in these jottings.

Ref: sielearning.tafensw.edu.au

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:58 am

Sorry, to answer your question, yes you could use a jotting observation to record the child's interest...

Lorina

kells

Post by kells » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:15 pm

Thanks Lorina, that was an incredibly helpful answer and I feel a lot more confident with using jottings now :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:42 pm

You're most welcome! Happy to have been able to help you understand!

Lorina

geoff

Post by geoff » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:55 am

hi im not sure what a work sample is could you please give me some info on outdoor water play thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:55 pm

A work sample is a piece of a child's work... so it could be an art, writing example, cutting example etc.

Lorina

geoff

Post by geoff » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:25 pm

i done mine on outdoor trough water food colouring to colour water silver paint glass beads is that ok

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:52 pm

geoff wrote:i done mine on outdoor trough water food colouring to colour water silver paint glass beads is that ok

Seems OK...

Lorina