Identifying individual children in a program

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
CarrieF

Identifying individual children in a program

Post by CarrieF » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi

I have a question about educators identifying individuals in a program that's is on display in a Long Day Care centre. We want to make it very clear how we are following up on the children's ideas and interests by clearly outlining why we are doing certain activities etc by linking it to the children's spontaneous play. Instead of writing names we currently use a code of numbers which are linked to each child. Not sure where this has come from but we we have always done it this way and secretly all hate it. We are all finding it confusing and awkward as you have to go back to the code sheet and find out who is who. Is there a requirement not to reveal names? Would love to know how everyone does theirs.

Cheers,
Caroline

Lorina

Re: Identifying individual children in a program

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:10 pm

Before the EYLF all began at centres I had worked at there were "codes" being used for Observations. Very annoying because as you stated, you have to refer to the code sheet to find out who you are supposed to be observing or following up on. It makes it difficult for parents as they also are unaware when their child is being observed on the program due to the codes being used. We had to email parents individual each week to let them know that it was their child's observation week, which in turn led to more paperwork. Anyway, with EYLF - I have seen some centres use the child's name to highlight the follow-up experience using the child's first name on the program itself.

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Identifying individual children in a program

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Sorry wanted to add - some centres also believe that adding the child's name and observation experience breach privacy and confidentiality policies. So, in this case. the child's initials can be used next to an observation icon to make it clear on the program that the experience is for an observation child.

For example - you could have an "eye" icon, the initials of the child, and the experience (M.N - teddy bear counting).

I think initials work better than codes...

:geek:,
Lorina