How To Write A Daily Dairy

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Tina01

How To Write A Daily Dairy

Post by Tina01 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:49 pm

Good evening,
I have been in the industry for three year started off as a room leader in nursery room, then moved to a government position totally different environment still working with children.

Just recently I want to get back into the childcare force but I did a trail last week and the director said my written work is a at a basic level, I feel scared now to attempt another job interview and just need help on some key point on written get a daily diary again ? I forgot what I write about or how to lay it out . I understand it's about activities through it the day what we learnt how did we overcome it, anything spontaneous
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: How To Write A Daily Dairy

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:55 am

Daily Dairies are now used to reflect and evaluate the planned and unplanned experiences that occurred throughout the day. Mainly when describing an experience/activity that occurred, talk about what the children discovered, their learning, what happened, what they said. It should be a paragraph or so depending on the expereince and how much interest the children showed. So similarly to an anecdotal observation. You will also need to include the Learning Outcomes to the experience as well. Usually the outcomes in your daily diary will match the ones for the same expereince in the program plan. So within the daily diary you are evaluating how the children achieved the outcomes/goals. However, for spontaneous experiences, you will need to add your own outcomes...

The following article lists how children achieve outcomes which you can use to help guide you and also use when you are completing the daily diary.

How Children Achieve Outcomes

For example - if you are writing about a group time experience on catching and throwing ball you could add. "Through this experience it is evident that the children take increasing responsibility for their own health and physical well being (3.2), as they show enthusiasm for participating in physical play and negotiate play spaces to ensure the safety and wellbeing of themselves and others (3.2.10)".

Another option is just to add the outcomes in brackets, next to the experience you have written. Have a read through the sample daily dairy here (you will need to download) to get an idea of what types of information you can include:

Daily Diary

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina