FDC Programs, Portfolios & Learning Cycles

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Adrienne

FDC Programs, Portfolios & Learning Cycles

Post by Adrienne » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a way to provide all of the areas we have to cover in Family Day Care all in ONE book per child. Is it possible? Has anyone done this? My head is spinning and I am getting completely lost in the different templates for each thing which I can not fit into my personal life after work.

I love my work and I don't want this paper work to override the enjoyment from spending time with the children to do things. I love taking photos and was going to use this as a way of putting them all in a folder on my computer and giving them to the parent as a portfolio on a USB stick, as they take home the work that I have photo graphed so I have no evidence to put into a book. Im not sure a USB with all of their photo from the year would be a portfolio, but I thought it would be.

Any ideas to make it all sooo much easier would be very much appreciated !

tinytots
Participator
Participator

Re: Family Day Care Programs/ portfolios/ learning cycles

Post by tinytots » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:26 am

I can't help you on this one, but would be interested to know the answer to this as well.

Lorina

Re: Family Day Care Programs/ portfolios/ learning cycles

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:51 am

Hi Adrienne,

Yes, it gets a bit overwhelming thinking about all the different documentation requirements for children. It sounds like you want to create a portfolio for each child. Using photos is an important part of documenting but you need to do more than to take photos. You need to take a variety of different observations in order to get an understanding of the whole child. In saying this, in regards to the templates it's up to you which ones you would like to use. You don't have to use every single template! You can use 2 or 3 observation templates on a rotating basis and maybe include a learning story. These can be added into the child's portfolio and be given as a keepsake at the end of the year. You can take photocopies of each child's documentation to keep as a record within your FDC. To make things easier you should organise a folder for each child on your computer and have the templates already inside each child's folder. So, when observing the child you select their folder then fill in the template. This makes it quicker and you don't have to search for a template to use each time when everything is already pre planned.

If you are not using templates (such as the ones available on here), another option is to create a scrapbook for each child. You could do this on your computer for each child as well. This is another option since you like to take photos. So, for the photos you take you will need to write a brief description of what's happening, analysis, link to the outcomes and follow up experience. You still have to do a write up for the photos to explain the child's learning, analyse it as well as extending on the children's learning.

The templates that are available here, for example, make it easier for you to complete an observation or a learning story for example because you just add the photos directly from your computer, add the details for each section and it's complete. Like I said previously, it's up to you how many templates you would like to use or which ones to use...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: FDC Programs, Portfolios & Learning Cycles

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi Adrienne and Tinytots,

Just a usb with photos at the end of the year is not enough and isn't documenting the children's learning and linking it to Outcomes etc.
It is all very overwhelming but Lorina has fantastic templates on this website and they are a great way to start and are SO EASY to do even I can do them.
Start with baby steps. You don't have to write a huge story just explain what is happening and what they are learning to start off with, the templates already have all the outcomes etc so you just have to click on them.
The more you do the better you will get at it. When I was starting I printed the example pages too so when I was filling out mine it gave me a guideline of what to write.
These templates can be put into the same folder on your computer and they become part of the children's learning and journey with you for the year.
In FDC we must keep copies of all the children's work so keep a copy on a usb or external hard drive +or print them out for yourself, we can be asked to show this at anytime.
A very rough guideline is one page/ learning story/observation etc per child per month, using these templates that is very easy to do and doesn't take long.
In saying that sometimes little ones are learning one thing after another, I had a two year old boy who had 4 pages in the one week cause he rode the scooter for the first time, sang ABC, peddled the bike forward and something else. All these huge things I documented on beautiful pages for families to keep forever.
Personally I do mine during my lunch, a lot of centre educators will say not to work in your break and that's fine when you get a break but in FDC we don't get a break so I would rather do it while the kids are sleeping than do it in my own time on weekends. If you have a quieter period, ie mon tues thurs i have one child from 4:15-5pm so i try to get something done then while he plays with the toys.
Hope this helps to start off with.
Linsaa fdc :wave:

Adrienne

Post by Adrienne » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:53 pm

Ok thanks for that, Ive just looked at the templates and cant see any for critical reflection which the YMCA are big on. Also Do I need to buy the basic $30 membership to gain access to all the templates. Im not with Pay pal so Im not sure how I can buy them?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:59 am

linsaa fdc wrote:Hi Adrienne and Tinytots,

Just a usb with photos at the end of the year is not enough and isn't documenting the children's learning and linking it to Outcomes etc.
It is all very overwhelming but Lorina has fantastic templates on this website and they are a great way to start and are SO EASY to do even I can do them.
Start with baby steps. You don't have to write a huge story just explain what is happening and what they are learning to start off with, the templates already have all the outcomes etc so you just have to click on them.
The more you do the better you will get at it. When I was starting I printed the example pages too so when I was filling out mine it gave me a guideline of what to write.
These templates can be put into the same folder on your computer and they become part of the children's learning and journey with you for the year.
In FDC we must keep copies of all the children's work so keep a copy on a usb or external hard drive +or print them out for yourself, we can be asked to show this at anytime.
A very rough guideline is one page/ learning story/observation etc per child per month, using these templates that is very easy to do and doesn't take long.
In saying that sometimes little ones are learning one thing after another, I had a two year old boy who had 4 pages in the one week cause he rode the scooter for the first time, sang ABC, peddled the bike forward and something else. All these huge things I documented on beautiful pages for families to keep forever.
Personally I do mine during my lunch, a lot of centre educators will say not to work in your break and that's fine when you get a break but in FDC we don't get a break so I would rather do it while the kids are sleeping than do it in my own time on weekends. If you have a quieter period, ie mon tues thurs i have one child from 4:15-5pm so i try to get something done then while he plays with the toys.
Hope this helps to start off with.
Linsaa fdc :wave:
Thanks Lindsaa! Thanks for your continued support! :thumbup:

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:04 am

Adrienne wrote:Ok thanks for that, Ive just looked at the templates and cant see any for critical reflection which the YMCA are big on. Also Do I need to buy the basic $30 membership to gain access to all the templates. Im not with Pay pal so Im not sure how I can buy them?
Most of the templates have an MS Word version which you can edit to your liking. So, if you like the layout and design but you wanted to add your own touches then the MS Word version enables you to change it to the way you want. Once your purchase a subscription you will be able to download all the templates for that specific amount of time. So, the basic subscription enables you 3 months access to download templates. Once it expires you keep the templates you have downloaded on the computer however if we release a template you like or want after your subscription expires you will need to renew it to be able to download the new template.

If you don't have paypal, another option is to make a bank transfer into our account. This usually takes 2 -3 days to clear and once it's clear we can activate your subscription. If you're interested let me know so I can send you our details.

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:06 am

Adrienne wrote:Ok thanks for that, Ive just looked at the templates and cant see any for critical reflection which the YMCA are big on. Also Do I need to buy the basic $30 membership to gain access to all the templates. Im not with Pay pal so Im not sure how I can buy them?
Let me know if you have any further questions and I'm more than happy to help! If you have a template suggestion you could also tell me and I can add it to my to do list to create for you and others to use...

Lorina