Doing programming as a trainee?

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
MissTurtle

Doing programming as a trainee?

Post by MissTurtle » Mon May 02, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi!

I started doing a traineeship this year, studying towards my diploma. I have no qualifications in this industry, just worked as a casual in this centre previously. I've only just got up to my first prac in my course (still in the Cert III part of my studies).
First off, it was an absolute struggle to get study time and we never have enough staff to cover it. If it's a public holiday, I miss it. Other than that, I get the three hours a week. But they're also making me do programming. I share a room with my team leader, and she is a qualified diploma educator. We split the observation children 50/50. I've told management I'm struggling because I don't know how to do observations/with only an hour a week of programming I can't manage to keep them up to date.

As a trainee, am I meant to be doing observations?

Thanks!

Lorina

Re: Doing programming as a trainee?

Post by Lorina » Wed May 04, 2016 9:33 am

As a trainee one of the downfalls is actually getting study time at work. You are supposed to get it and you are entitled to it but as you are experiencing it isn't really a priority on the employer's list and most of the time you miss out on it... It sucks but even though you may not be able to get study time you are still working and gaining experiences and skills which will benefit you in the long run.

In regards to the observations if you have not yet covered them in your modules as yet then you shouldn't really be doing it because as you mentioned you don't know how to do it and it is above your responsibilities. It's not up to you to do obs, it really falls on the room leaders shoulders. The room leader may be struggling with all of the paper work that's why you are made to do it.

Even though you are not necessarily supposed to do obs, it's a great opportunity to learn observations because these are vital for working with children. These need to be done, wherever you work. Rather than you struggling maybe we can come up with an easier way for you to do observations so you don't get stressed out about it. So, let me know how your observations are done so I can try and recommend a simplier method for you...

What do you think?

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Doing programming as a trainee?

Post by Lorina » Wed May 04, 2016 9:34 am

Sorry few more questions:

How often do you do observations? Daily?

What types of obs do you have to do?

How many children a day do you do obs for?

:geek:,
Lorina