Documenting EYLF - Family Day Care

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lorina

Re: Documenting EYLF - Family Day Care

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:34 pm

Lindy,

Don't hold anything back... I'd love to hear your honest thoughts on EYLF, especially how you go about implementing it into your family day care centre... Do you love it or hate it?? I'd love to hear your honesty! I'm a big girl I can take it!! LOL :P

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:08 pm

My take on EYLF

We have to do it may as well embrace it!

The bits I love
Proves I'm doing my job well as I haven't had to change anything to show I am doing EYLF (Activity wise)
Teaches the parents that play is such valuable as a tool for the children.
Helps us ensure the children's development is covered from every aspect.

The bits i hate
Having to point it out in my documentation. (The LOC's) (NQS) etc
The extra work that it takes to point it out.
How much less time I have with the children because of the paperwork.
I hate how it has stressed everyone out. Everyone is still so unsure they are doing IT right.
the fact we have to question each little move
kids can't just be kids
everything is analysed
Needs to be in plain english!!!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi Lindy,

How are you going? Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I read your "cons" and I do have to agree with most of the points you mentioned. In a way it does seem that everything has to be analyzed by linking the outcomes, principles and practices. I guess this is just a way to let others know that even though a child may be only playing their developing and achieving goals which makes it all worthwhile. But thinking about it how many childcare professionals completely understand what the learning outcomes, principles and practices mean?? I mean I bet there are plenty of others who have no clue on what the outcomes mean and just do it for the sake of doing it. Just because you add a Learning outcome here and there, to a photo and an art work, it doesn't mean you're implementing EYLF... It has to be on child's interest, it has to be child centered, it is based on the child's point of how they learn... I feel like it's not that kids cant be kids it's just that now that we are so focused on over analyzing everything and getting the paperwork done, we are missing out on developing a child learning and extending their opportunities...

For me, writing documentation isn't the problem because I think it's important that we document the learning journey that a child can have through a simple experience. I have posted an update on my latest progress of the release of the online tools in the following topic: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... 3329#p3329 This will provide details on what features will be available.

I just want to provide a unique and simple way to help you understand and document the EYLF without taking your time away from the children - I really hope I can help you cut down the time you spend on documenting...

It's a long and twisted journey that's for sure!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Knowing you L.A I'm sure you will come up with something breath-takinly awesome.

** Holding on to my number from the box very tightly and getting excited to see what you DO come up with!**

emilysnan

Post by emilysnan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:36 am

Hi Lindy, I love your A3 program however I am unable to print it out proply,can you please tell me what I am doing wrong,Thanks

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi EmilysNan,

I used to set my printer up to split the A3 onto 2 a4 sheets then sticky tape it together.
You can buy a3 printers but I didn't use the format that long enuff to warrant it.

I have attached what I currently use
Weekly diary page wk bgn blank example.docx
Plus I also use the weekly curriculum page Play based learning format
Reflection of our day, and Learning stories from this site
http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/online_tools/

Hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jrw60
Participator
Participator

Post by jrw60 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:12 pm

Had a bit of a chuckle to myself earlier today.......seems there were several of us here (Sunday) obviously working and doing our paperwork. Love how this site helps ease the loneliness of our job!! And the pain of so much paperwork too!! :clap:

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:05 am

No rest for the wicked lol

jrw60
Participator
Participator

Post by jrw60 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:28 pm

Just interested to know how FDC'ers are going with their paperwork now that it's a bit further down the track. Have been trying out the wonderful forms from this site lately - using the FDC Weekly Curriculum plan LO based and the daily reflections (which i cross out and use as a weekly reflection). I am using my own version of a learning story (made up from ideas all over the place!), and have made individual children's records (long term goals) which illustrate their individual progress towards the learning outcomes. Oh, and a form on display for the parents with nappies, sunscreen, appetite etc too!

My scheme is promoting this site to all and sundry, you are famous L.A!!! :clap:

Feeling like I have run 16 marathons getting here, but am comfortable with where I'm at with the documentation "flowing" just now..............still behind though!!

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:44 pm

I'm doing ok atm. Everything is almost up to date.
(Have only 4 Obs to do for the Month as the children were very busy last week (I'm on holidays now tho)
I am programming fortnightly (Gives me time to resource the learning experiences)
I use the Learning Stories from here.
My own setup for displaying my programming. (As it is fortnightly)
My own Obs template (Waiting for L.A to put up A.C.N. version).
My diary page is working really well with records of OBS/LS, safety and sleep check provisions, Reflection/Evaluations etc.
Just trying to figure out how to show the NQF outside of QA 1 (EYLF)
Also trying to figure out how to do a Professional Development Plan and rewrite my Philosophy.

Yeah I'm almost up to date lol