Documentation and Portfolios

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Alexandria Hruncev

Documentation and Portfolios

Post by Alexandria Hruncev » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:43 pm

Hello everyone!

I've been trying to read all of the topics, but I am a little overwhelmed, so I decided to make my own topic... hope this makes sense! This is going to be a big one!

I have been working in childcare for about 9 years and had a break for 7 months in a different career. I have realised that working with children is where I need to be so I'm back in as a room leader after Easter break 2015 in an 18 months to 24 months room.

I am half way through my bachelor of Ed: ECE and will be starting it back up in June.

I am trying to get my head around the EYLF before heading into the position. I used it prior, however, I need to clarify a few things as I am unsure if I am doing way too much work than what is needed.

I will be having a weekly program for each group as the room is already broken into 3 groups. As a reflection of the day/program each group will do a daily diary. Then I will conduct a weekly reflection of the programs, ensuring that each groups analyses are included.

Can the daily diary be used as a daily reflection? - it seems like it can from what I have read?
Also, can the DD be used in the portfolios or anything like this? How could this be achieved? Anyone doing this currently? (such as a group ob)

This is where I get really confused!

I understand that there is no set number of observations that need to be done, however in my last centre everything that was jotted onto the program that week HAD to have learning stories and observations on the wall by 3:30pm on the day it was programmed for with explanations if it was not done and why. 2 a day for a dip and 1 a day for a cert III. This means that a child could have up to 10 learning stories and observations a week in their portfolio!

So, my next question is, does everything that is written on the program need to have a learning story/observation for the portfolio?
If there is a learning story happening, this is great to have on the wall so parents can see the 'interest' - however do obs need to be displayed too each day? (I don't feel that this is necessary if a Daily Diary is being completed? Most parents only want to see pictures of their child enjoying themselves and learning with their friends and educators).

I do understand that there are follow ups that need to be observed and implemented, so I downloaded the observation template, which has the F/U on the observation template, which would save time and paper - so thank you, thank you, thank you!

What I guess I'm trying to also say, is how do you cull or do you cull the learning stories and/or observation being placed into their portfolios?
Children are so curious and will stick their little noses into anything and everything, which would mean they could be placed in their portfolio too if mentioned in the observation, then I'm back to square one with overwhelming portfolios of sometimes random learning stories and observation which are intended for other children.

Am I somewhat on the right track - haha?

If anyone has any suggestions on what they do or input on my ideas, this would be amazing!

Thanks so much in advance!

Alex

Lorina

Re: Documentation and Portfolios

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi Alex,

Welcome back to the industry! Seems like you have found your passion for working with children!
I will be having a weekly program for each group as the room is already broken into 3 groups. As a reflection of the day/program each group will do a daily diary. Then I will conduct a weekly reflection of the programs, ensuring that each groups analyses are included.

Having three separate programs for each group is alot of documentation that you need to get done. It will be hard to manage since you will need to have 3 sets of programs and each day you will need to be doing 3 sets of daily dairies. I understand that with the group of children that there will be different ages/stages of abilities and understandings but you can set up the same experiences to accommodate the different needs of the children in the room. You may have to tweak the experiences for each group and you can possibly set out a different outcome per group for the same experience. For example: if you were doing a threading with big beads activity for the younger children their outcome could focus on their fine motor skills while the other children can follow coloured pattern cards while threading the beads. I just think that it way too much work for you to be doing 3 sets of programs each week.
Can the daily diary be used as a daily reflection? - it seems like it can from what I have read?
Also, can the DD be used in the portfolios or anything like this? How could this be achieved? Anyone doing this currently? (such as a group ob)

Yes, the daily diary is essentially a daily reflection. You use it to evaluate the experiences that the children engaged in throughout the day and whether or not the outcome you selected for the experience was achieved by the children and how. Also, if any spontaneous experience had come up within the group this should also be noted as this can be linked further for future planning.

The daily diary can be used in portfolios but it needs to be specific for the individual child. If you were writing a daily reflection and it specific for a child you can make a copy of the reflection, highlight it about the child and add it to the child's portfolio. It's not necessary but it's just another form of documentation that you can include. You may also need to include brief details on the scenario so it makes sense why you adding it into the portfolio.
So, my next question is, does everything that is written on the program need to have a learning story/observation for the portfolio?

Ever since the EYLF mentioned "Learning Stories" educators are getting carried away with them. A learning Story is just another form of documenting the children's learning. Not everything has to have a learning story. Learning stories can be used for any special events, special moments, excursions or group projects that may occur in the room. A learning story is a very detailed form of recording and it's such a waste to have all experiences added into a learning story. It loses it's purpose in that case.

As for observations one a month per child is sufficient enough. Within your weekly program you should also be following up any emerging interests that occurs within the room and for individual children which should also be noted and done on an ongoing daily basis so have observations once per month is fine.
Also just wanted to add that OBS should NOT be displayed for all parents to see. These are to be kept confidential and only should be seen by the child's family. Observations can be kept in each child's portfolio but not displayed for all to see.
I downloaded the observation template, which has the F/U on the observation template, which would save time and paper, so thank you...

No problem! I'm happy to hear that you find it useful! :)
How do you cull or do you cull the learning stories and/or observation being placed into their portfolios?

Basically with portfolios keep it simple and not everything has to be added into it. Learning Stories can be added but cut down how many learning stories you write. Try and use learning stories for significant events that occur, ongoing interests, special events etc. So maybe within the month there may be no more that 3 or 4 overall. These can be added to the child's portfolio. As well as their monthly observations.

I'm adding some articles I've written that may also help you out so you can get a better understanding of what to include in portfolios and writing learning stories.

Portfolios In Childcare
Writing A Learning Story

Hopefully this answers your questions and let me know if you need further help,

Cheers,

:geek:,
Lorina

Alexandria Hruncev

Post by Alexandria Hruncev » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:42 pm

Hello Lorina,

Thank you so much for your post and thanks, it is a great feeling knowing I or anything can have such a passion for educating children and watching them grow and develop! You have answered what I need to know - which is great.

Doing 3 programs may be a little much, however, I don't know how else get all the necessary information for each group into a document and daily diary. The groups have 2 educators each and I was thinking that each group of educators look after the daily diary and program and I oversee theirs. From experience would this work?

The only reason I am considering this due to being told that parents are always asking questions such as "what did the blue group do today?" or "Where can I see what the blue group did?" etc.

I have also been told that each group has their own learning time inside and outside, which is when they do their experience from the program.

I could see if one program would suffice to cut the work load down, which would be great and open up more rows in the template for each group. But maybe one daily diary each might be good for the families too. I don't know - Any suggestions?

The articles were a great help! This whole website is a great help really!

Cheers,
Alex

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:28 am

Hi Alex,

For your situation, maybe have a different daily dairy for each of the groups you have in your room. I still think that even though you have many educators it will be hard doing three different programs... It's about trial and error... Try working with 1 program for a week with each group having separate daily dairies then try having separate programs to see what works best.

You could also have a display for each of the groups where you can add what they did. So, you could have a notice board saying "What the Blue Group did today" and then add the daily reflection and photos of the children in the group. As long as parents are able to read about what there child did, this might work well. Since you may have different colours for group names you can colour code the display. So, for blue you could create blue signs, blue notice board, blue frames for photos etc so parents can easily identify each group....

You just have to figure out what works well for your room...

Lorina

Alexandria Hruncev

Post by Alexandria Hruncev » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:32 am

Hello Lorina,

I agree I think 3 daily diaries colour coded may work well - which would settle parents, the program and reflections. Also trial and error it will have to be! We will just see how it goes!

7 months out and I feel so new even though I've done it for 9 years!

But thanks again!

Cheers,
Alex

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:06 pm

It doesn't matter how long you've been working in this industry. There's always something new to learn!

Hopefully you'll be able to figure out you're documentation,

Lorina