Differences Between Observations & Evaluations

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
leenie
Participator
Participator

Differences Between Observations & Evaluations

Post by leenie » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:17 pm

Seeking explanation regarding the difference between an evaluation and observation. Work in OOSH.
Last edited by Lorina on Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Differences Between Observations & Evaluations

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:05 am

When writing observations you write what you observe. What the child is doing, what they are saying, who they are interacting with etc. Write exactly what you see. You are basically observing a child in their play experience to gain a better understanding of their achievements, abilities, knowledge and skills.

For the evaluations you are using the information gathered in the observation as evidence to pin point the child's achievement, abilities, knowledge and skills. You can use the Learning Outcomes from My Time Our Place to help with your evaluation...You can start off with something like "Through this experience it is evident that Nicloe shows/displays.... (then add the learning outcome)". Then using the language used under the sub learning outcome you choose, write up what the child is displaying.

Check out our OOSH Observation Templates for a few examples..

Hope this helps,

:geek: ,
L.A

leenie
Participator
Participator

Post by leenie » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:36 pm

Thanks for writing it clearly, I think I generally I do this but can adjust it a little with some of the wording used from looking at your example. Also clarifies it for me to talk to other staff.

Even though I have an understanding of documentation I wanted some clarification as the observation/evaluation and documentation comes up all the time, and then we go to a training session and get told this and that and everyone filters it through there understanding/knowledge and experience. This week I've been left confused!!

I've got a couple of other questions below.

We do planned activities and have them on the weekly program, we then will do a simple evaluation-what worked, didn't etc with a next step. My question is can you do a child observation from the planned activity (the planned activity is either educator or child initiated) or is it only from their spontaneous play/conversation/interest?
This has come up at our centre, for a programmed planned activity you only do an evaluation as stated above and a follow up if there is one. You don't do child observations.

There is also general discussion that an observation can be on anything in the centre/program from behavioural situation routine not working etc (educators observe and discuss stuff all the time, would this be related more to critical reflection) Seems to be confusion over child observation and general observation of anything going on in the "environment".

From what you said and my overall impression is that the documentation for chn is about documenting their strengths and interests and the outcomes are the focus points in the play/experiences in oosh. The learning in OOSH for chn is from the outcomes?

Addressing behaviour, developmental and social issues is huge part of oosh but people seem to be afraid of documenting it somewhere for discussion evaluating planning and implementation.

What sort of documentation would you suggest addressing behavioural/social issues, which affect the child, others and the whole environment? I don't see it as negative thing but for the child/ren wellbeing, growth and development-not about judging the child . Also do you need parents permission to document anything regarding their child within this area? To me it is about working with the kids in the social /emotional area which comes up in the outcomes. [ I don't mean a child for eg who has violent behaviour]. But a lot of stuff that comes up in team sports!! for example, ….or not so "teamy"! Especially when there are a variety of ages.

Hope this is not too confusing, I want to clarify my understanding so I can give staff correct information and be confident in my pedagogy and change anything I need too.

Do you have or know any articles/research or links I can resource as well?
Thanks
leenie

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:38 am

Getting your head around all this documentation is confusing. Especially when you feel like you finally got a grip of things and then being told you are doing it wrong or being told you should be doing it differently. The thing is with the "My Time Our Place Framework" everyone will interpret it each in their own way based on their own understandings so that's why when it comes down to documentation it can get a little confusing.
My question is can you do a child observation from the planned activity (the planned activity is either educator or child initiated) or is it only from their spontaneous play/conversation/interest?

Yes, definitely! You can do an observation through which ever experience that the child is engaged in at the time of your observation. It can be any planned activity, child initiated or spontaneous. It depends what is happening at the time of your observation.
at our centre, for a programmed planned activity you only do an evaluation as stated above and a follow up if there is one. You don't do child observations.

Child Observations are different to activity evaluations. Child observations are based on an individual child and their achievements and goals based on their understandings as activity evaluations are based upon the group participating in it.
an observation can be on anything in the centre/program from behavioural situation routine not working etc

As long as the observation is focused on an individual child, the child can be observed at any time during their time in care. At meal times, during routines, during experiences, at group time etc. However, if their is a behavioural concern then this needs a separate observational record. All child observations should be focused on what the child CAN do, not what they can't.
The learning in OOSH for chn is from the outcomes?

What the children learn is based on their interests, their directions, their input etc and to support their learning and understanding you can use the goals within the My Time Our Place framework to justify it. For example: if their was a big spider web between two trees that a group of children being observing and discussing this would probably turn into a spontaneous experience as the children have shown an interest. So, you and the children spend the afternoon documenting (drawing, writing, finding other webs etc). Based on this the learning out which will best fit into this would be: 2.4.4 - explore, infer, predict and hypothesize in order to develop an increased understanding of the interdependence between land, people, plants and animals. Using this outcome justifies the goal the children will achieve through the experience.
What sort of documentation would you suggest addressing behavioural/social issues, which affect the child, others and the whole environment

Anything to do with challenging behaviour a child should observed using a behaviour management plan. You can use an individual child ob to observe a child in different social situations but these types of observations should be tweaked in regards to when writing up the evaluation. For these types of observations you should not add evaluation but instead use "goals" and "strategies to achieve goals". With this you don't need parent permission unless you were to use a behavioural management plan where parent intervention is needed.

Here are some articles in our Programming section:

Childcare Programming
Behaviour Management Plans

I really hope this information helps and I'm happy to help more if needed,

:geek:,
L.A

leenie
Participator
Participator

Post by leenie » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:47 pm

This has been very helpful, I'll go to the articles you have suggested and get back to you with anything further. Greatly appreciated.
Thanks Leenie