CHCGLE001 - Help needed with scenario assessment

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
susan_ooi

CHCGLE001 - Help needed with scenario assessment

Post by susan_ooi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi Guys... I am new to this forum and I have also just enrolled in Certificate III in Early Childhood Care. Doing my first module which is CHCGLE001. Having some road blocks in Written Scenarios assessment. Am I on track with the below answers?

Scenario 1:
A parent of a child in the 3-5 years room comes to make a complaint about one of the other staff members who works in the same room as you. The parent says the staff member ignores her child and often yells loudly at her child. Once, as she was leaving the centre, she thought she heard a loud slap and a child crying. You have also heard your colleague yell at children occasionally.

Q1. Detail how you could handle the parent’s complaint.
I will get the parent to complete a customer complaint form and would personally inform the situation to my Nominated Supervisor on this. On the other hand, I will also gather observations on the child’s and staff member’s behaviour, record and have conversations with the child on the neglect and possible abuse. If there is any signs of physical abuse, I would also take photos of it. I could also discuss with the body in the State/Territory whether reporting would be the right thing to do at this point or not.

Q2. What policies and legislation could you refer to when handling this matter?
According to The Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (2001) under the ‘Protection’ tab, children have a right to be shielded from harmful acts and practices such as physical abuse and neglect.
The Early Childhood Code of Ethics is also breached should the staff member ignore and yell at the child. Educators are in a relationship of special trust with children and their families and with such action, the important and powerful relationship is already violated. The child is also no longer safe in the service.
Lastly, the National Regulations and National Quality Standards legislation should be referred to as well especially the procedures for managing and documenting complaints. In NSW serious complaints about government regulated children’s services should be directed to the NSW Ombudsman.

Q3. What documentation would you keep and who would you notify?
I will keep a record of my observations on the child’s and staff member’s behaviour, conversations with the child on the neglect and possible abuse as well as photos should there be any physical abuse sign. The Nominated Supervisor should be notified of this too.
Also, a customer complaint form should be filled up and discussion with the director should be documented. When the Nominated Supervisor arrange for a meeting between the customer and the staff concerned to discuss on the complaint and seeking for resolution, that too should be documented.