assistance for Case Study

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
magic_dudu

assistance for Case Study

Post by magic_dudu » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Hello all,
I would need some further assistance on the below case studies:
1. You are working in an early childhood education and care service when a women approaches and says ‘I am Astrid’s aunty and her mum has asked me to pick her up today’. You refer to information provided at enrolment and only one person, her mother, is authorised to pick her up. What would you do and why?
My answer: I would kindly let her know that Astrid’s mum was the only person who was authorised to pick her up on the enrolment form. However, I would immediately inform Astrid’s mum for verification, and authorisation for her aunty to collect Astrid obtained if appropriate. We owe a duty of care to the children in our care to ensure their safety is paramount and we must comply with our obligations under state or territory child protection laws.
2. You have a disagreement with a co-worker where you work. The problem has been left unresolved, and is now impacting your interactions and daily communication with each other leading to further misunderstandings and frustration. What would you do and why?
My answer: To calm this situation down, it would be helpful to take a positive approach to conflict resolution, where discussion is courteous and non-confrontational, and the focus is on issues rather than on individuals. If this is done, then, as long as the other person listens carefully and explore facts, issues and possible solutions properly, conflict can often be resolved effectively.
3. A 3 ½ year old boy, Ghani, who attends the service where you work refuses to feed himself. He will not eat finger food, and you believe that he does not know to hold a spoon or fork. You approach his mother to discuss your concern who simply says ‘I feed him’. What would you do and why?
My answer: I would have a private talk with the mum and would be understanding of her cultural background and her right to feed her child, however I would try to help her understand that children have a drive to be independent and do things on their own. This is a healthy part of normal child development. it would be extremely helpful for him to be able to feed himself while he is at the service, because the best way to build independent feeding skills is to learn the normal developmental stages of self-feeding. I would offer her some suggestions on helping him to learn to feed himself, e.g. Introduce a spoon and fork and give children plenty of time to practice. Consider bowls that attach to the table, child-sized utensils and small cups with handles and spouts (such as measuring cups) for pouring. Encourage Ghani to try for himself but provide help and encouragement when needed so he doesn't get frustrated. As an early childhood educator, it is my legal an ethical responsibility to create a welcoming, safe and non discriminating environment for both child and the family.
4. You are assisting a 3 year old boy, Barry, with toileting when you notice bruising on his thighs. When asked what happened, Barry looks at the ground. On taking a closer look, you see that bruising also appears on his back and upper torso. The bruises are of different colour, some are yellow and brown, where others are more red and purple. It seems they are similar in shape and size. What would you do and why?
My answer: I would suspect Barry has been abused, and it is important for his family to reach out for help and not isolate itself. Even if I am not sure, it is better to report it rather than do nothing. I will remain calm and make sure I do not express shock, panic or disbelief. Find a private place to talk to Barry and keep information confidential, only those who absolutely need to know should be told at this point. I could seek expert advice by contacting Child Safety Services and ask how best to respond to the situation.
I did not pass these in my assignment, so any help or further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Melody