Whose responsible For A Child's Expired EpiPen

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
oziwi

Whose responsible For A Child's Expired EpiPen

Post by oziwi » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:34 pm

Hi guys, my question is "Who is responsible for a child's expired epi pen or ventolin puffer, when it is brought to the service everyday, and taken home every night?" As a responsible educator I did alert the parent that these items had expired. His reaction, better to have one than none. I agree, but not when it comes to compliance. It is an expensive item (epi pen) and it has been proven that it is better to use an expired pen if you do not have one.
Greatfull for any feedback.

megs_95
Helper
Helper

Re: Whose responsible?

Post by megs_95 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:57 pm

Parent/caregiver is responsible! I'm certain you can also refuse care if the child does not come with an epi pen (or in your case, one that's not expired).

I would definitely talk to your director about this... If that child has a reaction in care you definitely need appropriate and in date tools to deal with it!

Lorina

Re: Whose responsible For A Child's Expired EpiPen

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:23 pm

I agree that it's a parent's responsibility to bring in an EpiPen that is valid. Yes, if a situation arises and there is no choice you would use the expired EpiPen but after the expiry date it may lose some of it's affects and potency that's usually why there is an expiry date. Also in terms of compliance we wouldn't normally give child out of date medicine on a medication form, so wouldn't this be the same for EpiPens.. Do you keep one at the centre in your first aid kit?

:geek:,
Lorina

MustHaveCoffee

Post by MustHaveCoffee » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:01 pm

At a centre, there should never ever be a need to use an outdated Epi- Pen on a child in an emergency situation.

Epi-Pens are the responsibility of the primary care giver (in this case the parent), they are no different to any other form of medication when it comes to "used by dates" and centre policies, its just that they cost much more then most medication.

The child in concern should not be allowed to enter the centre until the primary care giver has supplied an updated Epi-Pen, this will also come with an new updated signed medical plan from their GP.

When a child enters a centre they become under the full care of that centre until they have been signed out, and to take responsibility for a child and allow a child into the centre knowing that their medication is out of date is to admit full responsibility for liability if anything does wrong.

Remember: Epi- Pens are not a permeant fix. They are for those who suffer anaphylaxis as a result of an allergic react and the case of an emergency situation they are a last call effort to save a child's life and give them an additional small window of time to get them to Hospital for full treatment before their respiratory system shuts down.

It may be ok to use an outdated Epi- Pen on a child in an emergency situation, but what if it doesn't work?

Hope this helps.

(I am a student studying my diploma, but my wife & one of our children need one on them at all times).

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi everyone,
I work at a Council run kindergarten and there is no way this child would be allowed to stay at our centre without an up to date epi pen.

Jules.

oziwi

Post by oziwi » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:04 pm

Thank you for everyone's advice. I have spoken to the approved provider and the service now has it's own epi pen.