Room leader position

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Shazia S

Room leader position

Post by Shazia S » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:48 pm

Hello everyone,
I work in a child care and studying ECT at the moment.
I was hired as an assistant in the babies room but they liked me and placed me as a room leader in the babies room.
I was happy to hear about my growth but it is not just fun, I got stressed as It is a big responsibility.
I have been really good with children and staff but need help in how can I make relationship with parents? how I introduce myself?
An other thing I personally wanted to make a roster for most of the things but staff is not really interested what do you think:?
Should i tell staff to do right thing like wearing hats outdoor or just go along with them.
I am wondering regarding many things...

Lorina

Re: Room leader position

Post by Lorina » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:19 pm

Being a room leader is a big responsibility as you are in charge of every single aspect of the room - from babies, cleaning, planning and the educators working with you. When working with the babies you need to have positive relationships with the parents. You should try and talk to each child's parent about their child's day and what their baby did. A quick couple of minutes is enough. The parents need to trust you and know that their child is safe and well looked after with you. You can have a communication book for each parent or even get the parents email address to email them daily about their child... What do you want to do?

Yes making a roster is good for the staff so they know what to do and what needs to be done. Even if the staff don't seem interested, since you are the room leader it's up to you to implement it and stick with it. Don't worry about what they think. If it will help you get things done during the day then go ahead.

You should always encourage your staff to do the right thing. It all falls on you at the end of the day since you have all the responsibilities of the room leader. So, lead by example, encourage them and if something bothers you, talk it out with the staff in your room.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Shazia S

Post by Shazia S » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:34 pm

Thank you so much for the answer.
I will implement these strategies.
Thanks again

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:35 am