Responsibilities of an assistant

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Hannahbanana

Responsibilities of an assistant

Post by Hannahbanana » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:28 pm

What would say the expectations of an assistant are?

Last year I completed my traineeship (cert 3) with a council children's service (worked at a preschool) with an awesome supportive team and had a great experience. This year I got a new job as an assistant at a non for profit long day service in the preschool room. At my new old job I helped out with observations and planning and my new room leader said she saw this on my resume and asked if I would like to do observations for 6 children (but said an assistant doesn't normally have to do this) and I said yeah sure because it was something I enjoyed doing. Each day I am excepted to have a new daily experience, language group idea and music group planned. She wants the daily experience to be a follow up. I am happy to do this but I am getting a bit overwhelmed with the amount of work this can actually be. We also have a child with bad behavior (spitting, yelling, hitting, pushing other children) and I feel like he takes up most of my time each day. He is a very large child so his behavior puts the other children's safety at risk.

If some of the plans are not written on the plan each day my room leader has started getting rude to me saying it's not rocket science.. which is true- I am capable of doing all this but I think it's rude considering I don't have as much experience as her and I am struggling to come up with something fresh everyday. There's not much resources at this centre either and a lot things in the room are the room leader's so I can't touch them or I have to ask for permission first. I feel like she is an accountant not a room leader the way she talks and treats me which makes me not respect her much. She also threatens to arrange a meeting with the director if I miss to write something on the plan for the next day etc. I enjoy work when she's off programming or away and I love the children but unfortunately her nit picking makes me want to leave asap.

Lorina

Re: Responsibilities of an assistant

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your situation... It does get frustrating when you're trying to do your best and you have been told that you could be doing more... In regards to documenting, even though it may not be required in your job description it is typically normal for assistant educators to help with documenting and planning. However, I do feel that you are given too much to do. As an assistant educator, you are there to assist, not be given so much responsibility with planning. If the room leader is threatening you with going to the director I would suggest that you go the Director and address your concerns. If it does get overwhelming for you, you need to share your concerns with the Director because sometimes they don't even know that these issues are occurring at the centre.

:geek:,
Lorina