Ongoing Development Of Your Cultural Competence

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Tomotomo

Ongoing Development Of Your Cultural Competence

Post by Tomotomo » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:20 pm

I am stgguling this question, please give me the advice.

Question is "List two ways in which you engage in the ongoing development of your cultural competence as an educator."

I have some ways to engage in children’s development of cultural competence. Firstly, I can share my cultural custom. For example, when Japanese start eating, we always put our hands together and say “Itadakimasu” which means thanking to the farmers who worked in the field planting and harvesting the food for meal and animals which giving their lives for us and appreciating somebody who cooked for us. It does not connect with a particular religion. This custom could be a challenge to accept for the children, however, I believe it may be a good way to introduce to children to value and give thanks for their meal. In addition, it helps children not to waste food. This encourages the sharing of different cultures.
Another way is using the books which encompass the cultural differences such as diversity of food, custom and appearance. As well, we can show and read the Indigenous Australian’s books to engage children in reconciliation. When introducing books, it is important to give children opportunities to think and ask the questions. Educators can answer effectively and develop positive attitude towards cultural differences for children,

Lorina

Re: Ongoing Development Of Your Cultural Competence

Post by Lorina » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:32 am

You have come up with some great ways of developing a child's cultural competence!

I really like your custom of saying "itadakimasu" before you eat. I think that's really important and I hope you continue to do this now and when you have children... It's so important to keep our own cultures alive and not forget who we are, what our traditions are and pass these on to future generations. Speaking of which it will be really nice to share this with the children as well so I encourage you to do so...

As for your question, it relates to you as an educator and how you will go about developing you own cultural competence...

:geek:,
Lorina

Tomotomo

Post by Tomotomo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks Lorina,

I misunderstood the question's meaning.
Here is my collection.
Could you please check it for me, please.
Thanks for your help in advance.

I have some ways to engage in developing my cultural competence. Firstly, reading books which encompass the cultural differences such as diversity of food, custom and appearance with children. As well, I can show and introduce the Indigenous Australian’s books to engage the reconciliation. When using books, it is important to give children opportunities to think and ask the questions. If I can reply effectively, it develops a positive attitude towards cultural differences for the children and helps to increase my knowledge of other cultures through discussion.
Secondly, I research how to greet in various languages and make a chart with a world map. I can ask from the parents, children and my colleagues and put those greeting words on the map. Moreover, I can greet families and children in their first languages, so other children would copy me and improve their cultural competence and knowledge. I believe this action increases the ongoing development of my cultural competence and it would be in contact with many different cultures.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:03 am

Yes, it sounds like you're on the right track with your responses!

:geek:,
Lorina