New teaching job

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
law92
Helper
Helper

New teaching job

Post by law92 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi

So yesterday I just scored myself a kindergarten teaching position within a local child care centre which I'm excited about. However, I've only ever worked as an assistant before as well as doing uni pracs so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed about running my own room. The enrolments in the kindy are quite low at the moment so there's only 13 on Monday, 8 Tuesday and 12 Wednesday. And I'm still studying my degree at uni - I'm halfway through have another 2 years to go so have to try and balance work and study.
When I had the interview yesterday the owner stressed the importance of having learning activities for the children from 8.30 to 4.30 so I'm a bit nervous about having enough planned to cover that entire time.
Can anyone explain the webbing to me? I've never done this before and not sure what it's about. They told me in the interview that I need to do webbing and a personal reflection every week, as well as 1 learning story per child a month.
Also can anyone suggest some essential EYLF templates that could help me with this documentation? And for those of you who work in a kindy room can you suggest a room routine that works well?
Sorry for all the questions I'm just really nervous, stressed and anxious about starting this new position.

leenie
Participator
Participator

Re: New teaching job

Post by leenie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi Well congratulations, having your own room.

What State are you in? I'm assuming you are doing an early childhood degree?

I actually don't know about Webbing but I found this, so don't know if is correct? Looks good though. You might find the concept really helps with you setting up a room curriculum/environment.
http://preschoolprofessional.blogspot.c ... chool.html

With the learning activities can you get more information about the philosophy of the service, and your employers definition of learning activities. But looking at this webbing, I wonder if she expects you to set up areas of learning environments for children to initiate self-exploration that you will, scaffold and extend on? I assume you will do group time (Does she expect some "group" teaching time), rest time, physical play etc?
How much autonomy do you feel you have in your room?
I'm not sure of a routine for kindergarten.

With personal reflection ask your employer can you do these reflections in a journal? I'm assuming this personal reflection isn't out in the public domain. Have you been left to work out your own documentation and are you required to do portfolios? Are you use to doing learning stories?

Don't be nervous, the unfamiliar can be stressful, but be positive, your employer has seen something in you that they like/want/+potential. Be kind to yourself as this is your learning journey, they also know you are still studying.

Leenie

Are there Kindergarten educators you can network with?

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:42 pm

Hi leenie thanks for replying.

I'm in Qld studying an ect degree. I had a look at that site and it makes a lot more sense now.

In the interview they did not really say a whole lot about the sorts of things they want me to do. I'm thinking of setting up several learning areas/activities as well as some worksheets/activity sheets for the children to do. And I want to do 1-2 group times/intentional teaching to show I'm actively trying to improve their level of knowledge of things. The owner basically said to me in the interview that I can do whatever I want I have total autonomy as long as it meets the needs of the kindergarten guidelines.

Yes I am solely responsible for doing the portfolios. As for the documentation, they just gave me a list of what they require, such as 1 learning story per child per month, weekly reflection, webbing and portfolios. So I'm guessing I can just find templates on here for the learning stories? I haven't done many learning stories in the past so I'm not overly familiar with them and not sure how much detail is required?

I'm going into the centre on Friday and the director is going to show me around so I'll be able to see what the resources are like which should hopefully give me some ideas as to what sorts of activities I can do. Also there is a 6 month probation period which I'm a bit nervous about but i think I should be fine once I get used to the documentation and planning quality learning experiences.

leenie
Participator
Participator

Post by leenie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi

Hope you enjoyed looking around your room/service? Great that you have autonomy.

I agree once you get the documentation sorted and a flowing curriculum you'll be fine.

Gowrie Australia reflections has great stuff for LDC. Acecqa Educators and providers section and National educational leader-they put out info on subjects.

Down load the educators guide eylf if you haven't and get a hard copy and the outcomes should be in a seperate document to download.

I know I have items on learning stories somewhere I'll see what I can find.

leenie :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:49 pm

Just chiming in here...

In regards to Learning Stories here is a How To Guide which should give you an overall understanding on what to include when writing one:

Writing A Learning Story

As for the EYLF templates, we have a variety of options that you can check out (you can read through the samples to get an idea on what to write):

EYLF Templates

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:56 pm

Sorry just wanted to add... we are releasing a digital documentation app (tomorrow - March 11) for Educators which include pre-designed templates (obs, learning stories, daily diaries, curriculum plans) and also it's fully customisable to create your own. When creating the documentation for each individual child, parents also have their own access to view their child's documentation and their own child's gallery. So you can easily share each child's learning with their parents. There are also tons of other useful features! You may want to check it out!

Appsessment - Digital Documentation App For Educators

:geek:,
Lorina