Large pre-kindy room

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Artist99

Large pre-kindy room

Post by Artist99 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi everyone

Iv recently started working after 11 years of been a full time mum. Things are different from when I got my diploma in 1999.

Iv been appointed room leader and have an assistant. I work alongside another room leader and her assistant with 2&3 year olds. I'm overseeing the older children hover it's not going to plan.

The room is the biggest in the centre with 23-26 children and it's chaotic. I was told that we would work in small groups with the children but that has not been happening and the age groups are mixed during activities or group times.

We keep the two age groups in separate areas at meal times and try separate group times but it does not always go to plan. The other group leader has another roll too so goes away at times for training and she works 4 days pw. I'm full time and I replaced two staff that were working part time.

I feel like I've been thrown in the deep end and would like to get some structure around working with such a large class.

Iv had a chat with my director who has given me some great ideas however the assistant that is not mine does not seem supportive of these ideas as she feels there is not enough time around changing nappies, serving morning tea, , lunch and bed time ect.
I have yet to tell my assistant of these great ideas and the other room leader whom were absent at the time my director made these suggestions.

All your ideas are welcome.
Thank you.

Lorina

Re: Large pre-kindy room

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:59 pm

So first of all you need to have a chat with the educators in your room about the suggestions that the director had given you... You need to make sure that all the educators are on the same page in order to get the room structure done right. It's not going to work if you don't work together... Maybe you could also begin to implement some of the suggestions in the room now itself and see if they work...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Large pre-kindy room

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:01 pm

Regarding your assistant, it's not really up to her to decide whether or not these suggestions will work or not... Since you are the room leader she should support you, you should try it for some time - 2 weeks and if it doesn't work try and work out why and go from there. Also see if the educators in the room have their own ideas that could also be implemented...

:geek:,
Lorina