Glitter play dough - Safe for babies?

Kids Activities, Art and Crafts, Cooking Ideas, Kids Songs and Games related discussions.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Elianaa
Participator
Participator

Glitter play dough - Safe for babies?

Post by Elianaa » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Hello,
At my current centre I've been told we can't use glitter in play dough as it's not safe for our little ones. I work in a 0-3 multi age room. I find this a confusing rule as we often use glitter during pasting and it gets on the floor and everything, and it's just as likely the babies will eat it off the floor as they will with play dough.
What do you guys think?

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: Glitter play dough - Safe for babies?

Post by linsaa fdc » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:26 am

Hi Elianaa,

I find that they will eat play dough more so than other things, i have a child that still eats play dough at 3.5, she will be under the table trying to scrape it off the ground trying to eat it while i am inside helping another child and yet won't attempt to eat glitter or glue or paper if doing other activities, so i won't put glitter in it.

Linsaa fdc :wave:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:53 pm

Playdough is something that some kids enjoy eating! Usually, I add in an extra spoonful of salt to make it salty so if a child happens to eat it they won't like the taste... Another idea is to add edible glitter dust, that way if they do happen to eat it's not going to harm their tummies... it's a compromise...

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Nandy84
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nandy84 » Thu May 26, 2022 6:57 pm

Hello,

Normally the Play doughs are nontoxic. When you mix the glitter in the play dough they will be mixed up and non-separable. Small tastes of glitter is generally considered non-toxic and will pass through the stomach without causing harm. If a child by any chance put the glitter play dough in their mouth, generally it does not cause any harm. You can add some edible bitter oil to the play dough so that they do not like the taste and avoid putting it in their mouth by themselves only.

Hope this will help you!

Thanks

Nandita