Getting a child to sleep

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
flossybeth5

Getting a child to sleep

Post by flossybeth5 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:36 am

I've just started as a FDC educator and I was wondering what the protocols are regarding pushing a child to sleep in a stroller but then transferring them to the cot as soon as they are asleep? Both babies I've recently taken on need rocking to sleep and I'm not sure my back can stand up to it! or that it's fair on the baby waiting to be rocked to sleep. I completely understand the safety need to have them in a cot for the length of the sleep and not leave them in the stroller it's really just for rocking them off.

Also - what about when they drop off if we're out and about and are still asleep when we return home - is there an expectation to move them to a cot then or just leave tehm to wake naturally?

Thank you.

Lorina

Re: Getting a child to sleep

Post by Lorina » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:53 pm

In my opinion, I don't think there is an issue of rocking the child to sleep in a stroller and transferring them to a cot once they have fallen asleep. I know it will be hard on your back if you have to carry and rock each child to sleep and if you have a couple of them wanting to sleep at the same time, one of them has to wait for another to be put to sleep first... as long as they are safe and secured in the stroller then I think it should be fine...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:56 pm

In regards to the regulations it states:
(3) A family day care educator must take reasonable steps to ensure that the needs for sleep and rest of children being educated and cared for by the educator as part of a family day care service are met, having regard to the ages, development stages and individual needs of the children.

So, by rocking them in a stroller you are meeting the individual needs of the child...

Hope this helps!

Lorina

flossybeth5

Post by flossybeth5 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:35 pm

Thank you; I'm doing a bit of mix & match at the moment and we're getting there but it's good to know it's OK!

My next question is: today I have a 7 month old who is teething (badly!), fortunately I don't have any others today so am able to hold him, rock him etc but again it's not so good for my back or if I have more than 1 here - if this had been one of my own I would have slung them - is it ok to wear a baby that isn't mine? Would this fall into the same individual needs category?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:24 pm

Interesting question... I'm not 100% sure on this one, just in regards to the safety issue... I'll try and find out for you...

Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:05 pm

Check with your scheme, even though we all have the same basic policies schemes have individualized policies that might or might not allow for this.
I can't see any problem as long as the child is put into a cot as soon as they fall asleep.
Are all your parents putting their children to sleep in the same way as you are doing in regards to your first and second post?

Linsaa fdc :wave: