Feeling put down at work

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
emilyjflinn

Feeling put down at work

Post by emilyjflinn » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:55 pm

Hello,
I have currently been working at my service for 6months mainly doing full time. I feel as though because I am so young and a bit quieter than the other ladies at my work, I feel as through they are trying to push me around and make me feel as if I doing everything wrong but I am trying really hard and following all policies and procedures with things such as cleaning and food preparation and being told that I need to hurry and just 'heat it up in half the time' and I just feel as though they just enjoy telling me what to do even though I've been told before and they can see that I'm doing it correctly like tidying up the room and communication incorrectly. I am more than happy to recurve feedback but would appreciate it more if it was in a gentle and private way. They tend to point out my quietness and tell me that I need to yell at the children but I would feel too uncomfortable doing so and say it infront of other staff members which embarrasses me. They also tend to not talk to me as much as other staff and although I am quiet I am not shy and do actually enjoy conversations with other members of staff.
Is this normal because I am new and young and do I just ignore it?

emilyjflinn

Re: Feeling put down at work

Post by emilyjflinn » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:10 pm

Also I get criticised for how I try and resolve conflict between children and when children are not listening or are becoming distressed. I try and get them to calm down first and try my best to understand where they're coming from and trying to talk it out with them so I don't just go up to them and yell don't hit or don't snatch or whatever I'm trying to understand how I can help assist them to make the right decision next time without needing to cause such a large argument or ignoring the child's request or distress. Most of the ladies there yell and pick the children up by one arm and pull them across the room and they are constantly telling me to 'be assertive' 'you're the boss' but I don't want them to think that I am the one they have to fear I want them to think of me as their teacher. The one that is understanding and are willing to learn things from each other. But maybe I'm wrong and advice would be great.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:32 pm

First off, I'm sorry you're going through such a hard time at work... By the sounds of it you are doing the right thing and unfortunately, the educators in the room are threatened by you since you are young and basically have your head on your shoulders.

When someone new or younger comes along in a centre and happens to be better than the "original" educators working in the centre, jealousy starts to take over and then you get bullied and get taken advantage of. Unfortunately working with a bunch of women each day brings out a lot of bitchiness and jealousy. Yes, mature woman working together and it seems like your back in high school with some of the unfortunate incidents and emotional turmoil that can take place between staff.

Very frustrating reading what's happening to you and I can understand what you're going through! It's not fun going to work since you have to put up with the bullying!

Have you spoken to the director about what's happening? You need to let the Director know what is going on because most of the time they are not aware of these issues, especially if they are in the office all the time. Speaking to the director is not "dobbing" you need to do it to for yourself and your emotional well-being.

It's so hard to deal with this especially if this is happening by more than 1 educator. That's why it's important to talk to someone at work about it. Is that possible?

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:35 pm

I would also recommend that you keep a diary of notes on all the things that you have concerns with such as the way the educators treat the children, the things they say to you, what you see as "wrong" etc. You could use this as evidence when you are talking to your Director about it...

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm not sure if this is going to help in your scenario but have a read through it and it may give you some ideas on how to handle the other educators. You may have to put an end to it by standing up for yourself, I know that can be difficult at times but sometimes it's the only way to put a stop to it:

Handling Conflicts

Lorina

emilyjflinn

Post by emilyjflinn » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:08 am

Thank you so much I'll have a look through these today. I just feel like I'm being set up to be told off. Like I'm being shown how to do something then when WPHS get here I'm being told to do things 'the right way' when why wasn't the first time I was shown the proper way? I don't really understand but I'm keeping my head up and trying my best anyway. Thanks so much for you help and support Lorina :)

MarlyW

Post by MarlyW » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:29 pm

emilyjflinn wrote:Hello,
I have currently been working at my service for 6months mainly doing full time. I feel as though because I am so young and a bit quieter than the other ladies at my work, I feel as through they are trying to push me around and make me feel as if I doing everything wrong but I am trying really hard and following all policies and procedures with things such as cleaning and food preparation and being told that I need to hurry and just 'heat it up in half the time' and I just feel as though they just enjoy telling me what to do even though I've been told before and they can see that I'm doing it correctly like tidying up the room and communication incorrectly. I am more than happy to recurve feedback but would appreciate it more if it was in a gentle and private way. They tend to point out my quietness and tell me that I need to yell at the children but I would feel too uncomfortable doing so and say it infront of other staff members which embarrasses me. They also tend to not talk to me as much as other staff and although I am quiet I am not shy and do actually enjoy conversations with other members of staff.
Is this normal because I am new and young and do I just ignore it?
It seems that you are actually doing all the right things, Emily. The other staff sound like they are not following what the NQS and EYLF says.

And you shouldn't yell at children. Ever. (Using a loud voice so they can hear and yelling are two different things by the way.)
emilyjflinn wrote:Also I get criticised for how I try and resolve conflict between children and when children are not listening or are becoming distressed. I try and get them to calm down first and try my best to understand where they're coming from and trying to talk it out with them so I don't just go up to them and yell don't hit or don't snatch or whatever I'm trying to understand how I can help assist them to make the right decision next time without needing to cause such a large argument or ignoring the child's request or distress. Most of the ladies there yell and pick the children up by one arm and pull them across the room and they are constantly telling me to 'be assertive' 'you're the boss' but I don't want them to think that I am the one they have to fear I want them to think of me as their teacher. The one that is understanding and are willing to learn things from each other. But maybe I'm wrong and advice would be great.
Seems to me that you are using the more appropriate way of communicating with children.

Also...pulling the children by one arm etc is definitely not on. You're not the "boss" you're an educator. Sounds like these ladies are a little "old fashioned" and set in their ways.

I agree you should definitely write down everything you see that worries you.

You aren't wrong. It is worrying reading that the other educators treat the children in that way.

ozzie54

Post by ozzie54 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:46 pm

Your story has saddened me. I cannot believe that childcare educators would be treating innocent young children in this way. As an mandatory reporter it is your duty to report this service for the way they are treating these children. Educators are not to yell or drag children by any part of their body they are not in any way permitted to touch children in this way these educators are violating children's rights, being disrespectful and abusive'. If you found out a parent was treating a child/children in this way you would have to document and report them, same goes for educators. Here is a link that will assist you with information in regards to this matter. This service should be reported to Family and Community Services. As young children are unable to speak out for themselves you and any other colleagues that are witnessing this abusive behaviour should be the children's voice and speak for them.

http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/prevent ... or-neglect

And to address the issue of yourself sounds like you are doing a great job. I am a Director of a service and I would in no way tolerate this type of behaviour with children or what they are doing to you as a staff member. I expect respect to one another in the whole service to children and staff even our casuals I make them feel welcomed and included.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:47 pm

ozzie54 wrote:Your story has saddened me. I cannot believe that childcare educators would be treating innocent young children in this way. As an mandatory reporter it is your duty to report this service for the way they are treating these children. Educators are not to yell or drag children by any part of their body they are not in any way permitted to touch children in this way these educators are violating children's rights, being disrespectful and abusive'. If you found out a parent was treating a child/children in this way you would have to document and report them, same goes for educators. Here is a link that will assist you with information in regards to this matter. This service should be reported to Family and Community Services. As young children are unable to speak out for themselves you and any other colleagues that are witnessing this abusive behaviour should be the children's voice and speak for them.

http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/prevent ... or-neglect

And to address the issue of yourself sounds like you are doing a great job. I am a Director of a service and I would in no way tolerate this type of behaviour with children or what they are doing to you as a staff member. I expect respect to one another in the whole service to children and staff even our casuals I make them feel welcomed and included.
Thank you for your suggestions! I agree that Educators should be reported if they are treating children like this!

Lorina